Sunday, March 6, 2022

Life: It Goes On - March 6

Happy (late) Sunday! We made a 36-hour run to Kansas City this weekend to see Miss H. We mostly just hung out but worked in a trip to IKEA (and figured out how to get in the back way so we didn't have to go through the entire store to get to what we wanted to buy), got breakfast at a favorite place (McLain's Market), and tried a new place for burgers last night (Burg and Barrel). 

Our daughter's roommate has a little beagle who went crazy every time we walked into the house yesterday. We've been home a couple of hours and our cat is still trying to decide if she forgives us for leaving her. She's just now stopped hiding under a chair and come to sit next to me. Cats are so different from dogs!

Last Week I: 

 Listened To: I'm about two-thirds of the way through Kazuo Ishiguro's Never Let Me Go. He's writing is just so amazing but I'm still just blown away by the fact that this is the same guy who wrote The Remains of The Day

Watched: The Big Guy is lost without most sports now and can't seem to settle on anything to watch most evenings which means that I've been mostly tuning out the television. 

Read: I'm working on Karen Joy Fowler's Booth, which I'm really enjoying for the history, the story of the Booth family, and Fowler's writing. I've highlighted so many passages and sentences, like this one: "Maybe, with nothing but love in her heart, his darling mother has eaten Rosalie alive. This seems to be something parents do sometimes." It does, doesn't it? 

Made: Guys, I made chicken fettuccine al fredo to take to a friend and kept enough for BG and me to have for a meal. It was the most indulgent thing I've made since we started counting calories but by watching our portions, we made it work and that might have made it taste even better than usual. 

Enjoyed:
 Tuesday I joined a Zoom conversation with author Colson Whitehead. He is remarkably funny for being the person who wrote The Underground Railroad and The Nickel Boys. He spoke about his writing process, how he decides what to write about, his love of movies and music, and revealed that he has just sent the final draft of the sequel of Harlem Shuffle to his publisher. I can't wait to read it!

This Week I’m:  

Planning: My dad is having surgery this week so there are no plans for this week, other than to be with him as much as I can. 

Thinking About: 40 Bags In 40 Bags started on Wednesday and I'm still working on my plan of attack for this year, which also means I'm thinking about how to get BG on board. 

Feeling: Nerdy. I got a new label maker and now I want to label everything. 

Looking forward to: Seeing my brother and sister this week. 

Question of the week: We live right up the street from the high school our kids went to. The other night I noticed that the lights were on at the softball field and it was another notice that spring is almost here. What are some of your signals that spring is right around the corner? 

1 comment:

  1. Wishing the best for your dad for his surgery. Glad you will be able to spend time with him. I still need to read Harlem Shuffle, especially if the sequel is ready to go! One day I will go to IKEA and see what all the fuss is about... Have a good week, Lisa.

    ReplyDelete