Sunday, January 29, 2023

Life: It Goes On - January 29

Happy Sunday from sunny, but very cold, Omaha! We've got a couple of very cold days ahead of us and then we bounce back up into the 30's, which will feel warm by comparison. Which will probably mean that I'll see teenaged boys out and about in shorts and hoodies by the end of the week because when you live where it could be winter for five months, the 30's classify as warm weather. 

Last Week I: 

 Listened To: I started Claire Lombardo's The Most Fun We Ever Had and am enjoying it so far. But it's long (20+ hours) and I fear that it's going to struggle to maintain my interest and appreciation for that long. 

Watched: January has been a good time to break out of the rut of just finding something on the usual channels to watch and we've been doing much better about switching over to a streaming service to find things to watch. We've watched more of Wednesday and are both really enjoying it; watched more of Grace and Frankie, which still makes me laugh out loud; and I've almost finished the first season of Emily in Paris, which is just a fun, sherbet kind of show to watch. 

Read: I'm bouncing between Jodi Piccoult's Mad Honey and Nina Totenberg's Dinners With Ruth (which I'm determined to finish, although I must admit it's not what I expected and has turned into more work than I expected). 

Made: Hamburger soup which we ate for three nights. Because I'm still incapable of making things in portions for only two people and don't think to freeze portions until I'm so tired of something that I can't bear to think of pulling it out of the freezer some time in the future. 

Enjoyed:
 Two things this week. Tuesday we joined friends to go see The Fabelmans, which has some very impressive performances. Last night I took The Big Guy out to celebrate his birthday. I didn't buy him a present this year; I told him that I was giving him the experience of an exceptional meal and to order whatever he wanted. Which we did and we had the bill to prove it. 

This Week I’m:  

Planning: After working with Miss H last weekend to purge her things, I've kept the ball rolling this past week, mostly in small ways. This week I'm planning to continue that, with the idea that by the time 40 Bags in 40 Days rolls around, I'm essentially down to nothing left to work on except the basement. 

Thinking About: Whether or not this blog has run its course. I'm not reading as much as I once did and I don't want to feel like I have to read just to have something to post. And then I'm not getting reviews written and not having fun writing them, like I once did. I feel like I, not that long ago, pledged to redevote myself to blogging, though, so maybe this is just my mood in the depths of winter. 

Feeling: Tired. Which I'm certain has been made worse by the fact that I'm now checking my sleep on my watch and discovering that what I thought was seven hours of sleep a night is actually closer to six hours of sleep. Which means I probably need to go to bed an hour earlier or into work an hour later. Or drink less caffeine during the day. None of these options appeals to me! 

Looking forward to: Dinner with two of BG's siblings, and their spouses, to celebrate the siblings' birthday, all of which fall within a 30 day window. 

Question of the week: What are your best tips for surviving winter?

3 comments:

  1. It's been really cold for Florida, in the low 30's quite a few days. Had to scrape the car windows off.

    I used to watch Grace and Frankie but haven't in a while.

    I listened to the sample of Dinners With Ruth on Amazon but don't think that I could handle the narration.

    I like hamburger soup but next time I think I'll try some kind of chicken instead.

    Happy Belated Birthday to the big guy! Sounds like a gift I would love!

    I'm in the middle of reorganizing and giving what I no longer need to the thrift stores near me.

    I did terrible with my reading and reviewing the last 2-21/2 years but I'm going to try and do better this year.

    Hopefully you can start sleeping better soon, I have trouble with that also.

    I have no tips for surviving winter other than staying inside. I would love the cold if there was snow to go with it. Snow was one of my favorite things growing up. I miss it :(

    I hope you have a great week!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'll be interested to hear what you think of Dinners with Ruth. I enjoyed the audio narrated by the author, but knew going in that it was more about her career and friendships in general and less about friendship with RBG specifically.

    I hear you about the blog, but I always enjoy seeing what you're reading and what's going on in general. Hopefully this is the winter blahs, but understand if it'snot. Take care, Lisa.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I laughed out loud at your comment about eating that soup three days in a row. I can't cook for two so I don't. LOL.

    ReplyDelete