Wednesday, February 16, 2011

Villette Readalong

Wallace of Unputdownables is hosting a readalong of Charlotte Bronte's Villette.  Which started last week but I had completely forgotten about until I started reading those first posts.  So I'm starting late.  I'd hoped to be caught up this week but no such luck. Villette was Charlotte's last novel, published in 1853.  Many people consider it to be a greater work than Bronte's Jane Eyre.

This week I read the first five chapters in which we're introduced to our narrator, Lucy Snowe.  Much of what we learn about Lucy, we learn from hints of her past.  I'm wondering if Bronte will just leave us to wonder what might have happened or if we will learn more as the story progresses.  We first meet Lucy when she is 14 and spending some months with her godmother.  In the next chapter we've skipped forward eight years.  Bronte leads us to understand that some tough things have happened to Lucy, but again, we don't learn much as to what they might be.

I think I'm going to like Lucy very much--she's one very brave girl.  After spending some years working for an invalid (Miss Marchmont, who passes away), Lucy makes the decision to head to London without any references or family to stay with.  From there she decides, almost immediately, that she wants to go to France to find work there.  At then end of Chapter Five, the ship is just taking leave of the English coast and Lucy is becoming acquainted with her fellow passengers.

I'm a cowardly, nervous Nelly--I can't imagine making such big changes in my life, although Lucy feels that she hasn't much choice.  Perhaps in her shoes, I might be a little more courageous.  But I doubt it!

8 comments:

  1. You know I've never read Villette. What an oversight.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Enjoy the readalong fun! I am quite behind in mine and am rethinking that this time of year, I should only read fluff - I can't seem to escape into reading right now.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Lisa! Like you I had to play catch up with this book, too. And like you I find Lucy to be brave - heading out to London without a clue of what to expect there and then deciding to go to Villette after talking with Fansahwe (someone she really didn't know all that well). That is brave. I'm liking the book, too! Can't wait to find out what happens next.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Sounds like I need to read this one soon. My knowledge of the classics is pretty abysmal!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I was actually surprised at how much I like this one. I'm on Chapter 11 right now and read a bit every day...can't wait to see how this turns out!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I thought I knew all her books; I've never even heard of this one!!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Oh gosh, I can't imagine being as brave as her either... I prefer the comfort of the known. Though I have to keep reminding myself that Lucy has no known place; no home, no family, no friends. So her leaving England would be perhaps easier than a typical person leaving home. She is not so much leaving home as searching for one, I think.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Don't know if you've already read the chapters ahead. I also thought I'd really like Lucy, but these new chapter made me a bit disappointed. I found her so... disapproving. Hope she redeems herself :)

    Looking forward to your views on the next stage.

    ReplyDelete