Monday, November 5, 2012

Fall Feasting


Maybe it was, pure and simple, a matter of the right books at the right time. Maybe it was just the season that made me think about food. Or maybe it was the fact that last fall my family was going through the toughest challenge we have ever faced that had me chasing comfort. Whatever it was, last fall, I spent most of October and November reading books where food played a major role and I decided to call it "Fall Feasting."

I had so much fun with it that I decided to do it again this year. I started setting aside books I already owned to read this fall and picked up a few new ones along the way. The plan had been to devote two months to all things foody. Of course, R.I.P. VII and my ongoing reading slump shot October for me. But now I'm set to get back on track. Coming up this week, my review of Thomas Graughwell's Thomas Jefferson's Creme Brulee. Next week, I'll share my thoughts on Joanne Harris' Peaches for Father Francis and The Book Club Cookbook. 

Also up this month will be The Sharper Your Knife, The Less It Hurts by Kathleen Flinn, Extra Virgin: A Young Woman Discovers The Italian Riviera, Where Every Month Is Enchanted by Annie Hawkes (which was recommended to me by my mom), and Harvest: An Adventure Into The Heart of America's Family Farm by Richard Horan. If there's time, I've got a couple more books I might add but I'm not going to pressure myself to try to get too much done.

Do you find yourself drawn to a particular kind of books as the seasons change? Are you a reader of foody books?

5 comments:

  1. Yay! I love this project, and have a few of these books on my shelves! I can't wait to see what you think of them. It sounds like you are doing this at the perfect time!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love reading food books...I'm reading "Garlic and Sapphires" right now to celebrate the season. It is really good. I'm also hoping to get to "Family Dinner: A Love Story."

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love books that involve food and knitting, can't tell you why but I just do. Looking forward to all of the ones you read and share with us!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh good, food books ahead! I'll look forward to your posts.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love foodie books, I just read John Saturnall's Feast recently and loved it!

    ReplyDelete