Sunday, November 25, 2012

Sunday Salon - November 25



Good morning, all! Hope you all had a wonderful Thanksgiving and survived Black Friday. We were remarkably sane in our Black Friday shopping (having had such a miserable experience last year) even though we did head out the door at 5:30 a.m. We refused to shop on Thanksgiving - we were all in agreement that employees should not have to give up that day - and we were not in the least interested in being at any store when the doors opened. We may have missed a couple of things we were interested in but all came home with plenty of great buys and our sanity.

Here's What I'm:

Listening To: Oh yeah, it's Christmas music time! One of my favorites is Neal and Leandra's "Listen To The Angels." Have I mentioned before how much I love this duo? Yeah, I probably have.


Watching: "Gone With The Wind" and "Midway" with my extended family the way only we can do it. Which is to say that "Gone With The Wind" is now R-rated and politically incorrect. "Midway," a very serious World War II movie by any standard, is a raucous comedy (and also politically incorrect) complete with prop flotation devices and [candy] cigarettes. For next year's annual viewing goggles and scarves will be added. It's our own "Rocky Horror Picture Show."

photo courtesy of Lora Higgins

Reading: Still Cannery Row. Haven't picked up a book in more than two days. I will finish it today and then I really am getting on to The Sharper Your Knife, The Less You Cry by Kathleen Flinn to finish up Fall Feasting. What are you reading this week?

Making: The house look Christmasy this week. Just when I got all of the storage boxes into their new homes, it's time to pull them all back out again. It's going to take a while this year as I'm planning on changing things up and adding some new things.

Planning: Despite a rather extended reading slump which I still haven't worked my way through, hope springs eternal and I'm starting to make reading plans for 2013. I'll no longer be hosting the Gilmore Girls Reading Challenge (even I haven't done a good job with it) but I am pondering a challenge for great American authors (you know, Steinbeck, Welty, Wharton, Twain, Hemingway). What do you think?

Grateful for: Family - the one I was born into and the one I was blessed to marry into. 

Loving: Albuteral. I've caught a bug that's set off my asthma and I spent the entire week sounding like a person with a 60 year, 2-pack a day habit but at least I had the thing I needed to keep going. How did asthmatics survive without this??

Looking forward to: Well, I think that's pretty obvious! Last year I had such a miserable December between working eighty hours a week and battling gallstones. This year I am bound and determined to savor the season just as I've enjoyed the fall.

What are you looking forward to this week?

7 comments:

  1. We stayed indoor Friday but supported "small business saturday" with local indie shops:)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Happy Holiday Season! Hope the breathing is OK and you can enjoy December and you can read what you want. I am starting a long term sub job tomorrow and am nervous as all get out - a lot of that is just fear of giving up my alone time and just getting stuff done. But as they say, the more you have to do, the more somehow gets done?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Your movie night sounds like a blast!! I refuse to shop on Thanksgiving too. It's sad that it has come to this, where shopping is more important than family. I hope your reading mojo comes back soon, but even if it doesn't, it sounds like you're having a great time with everything that you're busy with!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Remind me never to cook with you (The Sharper Your Knife, the Less you CRY. Not hurt.)

    ReplyDelete
  5. It's my turn to have a miserable December. I'm packing up to move...again. Major life change happening for me. I'll be posting full details on my blog tomorrow because I have a feeling I might be MIA with all this going on. I'm still trying to stay in the spirit. The boys and I are moving in with mom and she said we could get a real tree and put up all my Christmas stuff so that's something anyway. Speaking of Christmas music (I love it, of course), Amazon screwed up on a promotional credit I had and I ended up getting two full MP3 album downloads for free! Rod Stewart's new Christmas CD and the new one with John Travolta and Olivia Newton-John. I was beyond thrilled!

    I like the idea of your great American authors challenge. I'll try to save room for it. I'm trying not to join so many challenges next year. Easier said than done. ;O)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Glad you had a good Thanksgiving holiday. Now you can start to think about Christmas preparations! I've been reading 'Major Pettigrew's Last Stand' which is a change from murder mysteries. I made a reservation at the library 'Peaches for Father Francis' (which has a different title in the UK)after I read your review. Have a good week, Lisa!

    ReplyDelete
  7. How are you enjoying Canary Row?
    Is it as good as "those who know" say?

    http://www.ManOfLaBook.com

    ReplyDelete