Sunday, April 13, 2014

Life: It Goes On - April 13

It's cold and rainy today, the perfect day to curl up in a corner of the sofa and read all day. Too bad I played all day yesterday and need to accomplish something today!

Yesterday was Nebraska's spring football game and The Big Guy and I headed into Lincoln so he could go with some of the other guys from my family. My mom, sister-in-law and I spent the afternoon shopping at all new-to-me shops. Such a fun afternoon!

Miss H introduced me to a new game this week, Ruzzle. Have you played it? It's ridiculously addictive and definitely bringing out my competitive nature.

Here's What I'm:

Listening To: I'm really enjoying Anthony Trollope's The Warden; a simple enough premise but wonderfully written. Like Dickens, Trollope used some great names for his characters including Abraham Haphazard for a lawyer.

Watching: The telecast of the spring game, just so I could see some of the fun things they did including coach Bo Pelini bringing a cat out. There's a twitter account for "Fake Bo Pelini" and the picture is Pelini's head on one of those awful Christmas card pictures with a cat. Real Bo said he was fine with the account but he wanted his cat back. The crowd went crazy when he came out yesterday with a cat - and then Fake Bo Pelini tweeted "Fine, you can keep her."

Reading: I'm finishing up The Goldfinch for discussion with my book club this week. Oh so much to discuss with this one!

Making: I used the chicken I made last Saturday and made stir fry one night and tostado casserole another night.

Planning: I was still working on getting over my cold this week, not much energy, so this week the plan is just to get caught up on things around the house.

Good Things - one of the great stores we hit up on Saturday
Grateful for: Family time - we are so blessed.

Loving: This morning's thunderstorm.

Feeling: A bit frustrated - BG appears to have brought home yet another cold.

Thinking: It felt great to get back to an exercise routine this week, slowly but surely. Never thought I'd hear myself say that!

Looking forward to: Book club this week made even more fun by my parents joining us. They've both read The Goldfinch.

9 comments:

  1. I hope you manage to avoid the cold this time around. Can't wait to read The Goldfinch!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Can't wait to hear your thoughts on The Goldfinch - I downloaded it a couple of weeks ago and look forward to reading it. Congrats on getting back to exercise - isn't it a whole new experience when you actually look forward to it?

    ReplyDelete
  3. I look forward to these posts weekly, I get to stay connected in a strange way. ;) Sadly I read on my iphone in bed and never visit blogs these days. Today I realized I hadn't been on the internet in almost two weeks! The 'company' I had last week stressed me out, Both of the guys left dodge so I was alone with this set of people. HA!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Ugh! Hope you can avoid catching the cold this time around. Goldfinch is on my TBR list. I've heard nothing but good things about it. Can you believe I've never read any Trollope? I need to fix that!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Spring games are always so much fun. I'm disappointed we missed the Wisconsin game yesterday, but I think it was a situation in which the entire family felt that getting ahead of the spring with cleaning and garden work was more important. I hope BG had fun!

    It was rainy and cold here today. It was most definitely the perfect day to sleep, read, and just do nothing. Which I did and enjoyed every minute of it. I don't think tomorrow is supposed to be any better, but I'm afraid that if I don't get the kids out of the house, they will kill each other. Ah, spring break!

    Have a great week!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Ruzzle, oh yeah! I went through a Ruzzle phase months ago and even bought the paid version. Finally, I phased out, I guess. Phew. Happy Ruzzling!

    ReplyDelete
  7. It's the weather! Hot and cold and hot and cold. We've all been struggling with the coughing and sniffling here. Last night I had to bring in some potted plants for a freeze (though I heard parts of NE had snow!). Crazy winter.

    After all the Pulitzer buzz yesterday I feel like I need to read The Goldfinch soon! Hope your group has a great discussion!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I'm looking forward to reading The Goldfinch too! I really am warming up to Trollope--The Warden really is a lovely story. Love those Victorian names :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. That was quite a storm we had last weekend, wasn't it? I think we got 1.5 inches of rain in a very short time. Much needed, although we discovered one of our French door window panes is leaking, so that's a nuisance. And now, today, it was 82! We always seem to go from winter to summer, don't we?

    I didn't watch the spring game, but I did see the video of Bo walking out with the cat. Nice to see he has a sense of humor, eh? ;) Actually, I saw another clip of him pranking the team about a cell phone going off during a team meeting. Kenny Bell's face was priceless. Pelini may be tightly wound during a game, but he's shown he is a caring coach and a strong leader to those young men.

    ReplyDelete