Sunday, April 27, 2014

Life: It Goes On - April 27

I am dragging today. Even though I didn't get up early to start and quit early, Dewey's 24-Hour Readathon wore me out. There's something about feeling like I have to read that makes it feel more like work and makes it more tiring for me. Two very important things I learned that slowed me down early on: it's hard to stay focused and awake if you're too warm AND I am going to have to start wearing my reading glasses if I'm not reading my Nook. Getting older sucks!

We are enjoying a very spring-like weekend. Friday night was absolutely perfect - warm enough for us to watch college baseball in short sleeves and eat on a patio after. Last night it started raining and we had wave after wave of thunderstorms roll through for the next few hours. Our yard and flower beds are loving it!

Here's What I'm:                                                                                                                                                                                                           
Listening To: Friday I started Laura Lippman's No Good Deeds, one in her Tess Monaghan series.

Watching: In keeping with a reading weekend, today I'm watching Princess Bride. I really need to get to the book one of these days soon.

Reading: I'm hoping to finish up Claire Cook's follow up to Must Love Dogs, New Leash On Life today. Then I'll start Nadia Hashimi's The Pearl That Broke Its Shell for an upcoming TLC Book Tour.

Making: One last batch of chili the other day when it was still cool out (with steak, yum!) and cornbread to go with it (inspired by Nora Ephron; it doesn't take much of a reference in a book to convince me to make something). Yesterday I cooked five pounds of chicken thighs three different ways to have on hand. I used some last night to make chicken enchiladas along with some bean and cheese enchiladas for my vegetarian.

Planning: When I got sick, I lost all momentum on 40 Bags In 40 Days so I'm planning on using the next week to try to knock out another 10-12 bags. I'm hoping to enlist the rest of the family.


Grateful: To be married to my best friend. It's easy to forget in the business of day-to-day life; date night was a good reminder!

Loving: Listening to the birds as they scurry about finding mates and building nests. When we moved in 18 years ago, there were no mature trees and no birds. Now we have such a nice variety.

Feeling: Hopeful that this week will be quieter at work; I'd like to have some energy left when I get home.

Thinking: I will get some posts up for the coming week and then I'm unplugging. I've already almost stopped using Twitter, haven't opened my Tumblr account in months, and yet I'm attached to my electronic devices entirely too much. I can't unplug entirely but I'll be limiting myself to one hour a day for everything.

Looking forward to: Remembering what I used to do in my free time because electronics ate my brain!



4 comments:

  1. Isn't this weather wonderful?! My yard looks so lush and green. I'm sure the weeds are getting ready to take over, though. Hoping to get some fresh mulch down this week.

    I'm right there with you on unplugging a bit more. I rarely look at Twitter anymore. I've "hidden" dozens of acquaintances on FB now that the news feed has gotten too bloated with every like and comment showing up from friends of friends. Now to get a handle on my blog reading... :)

    Have a great week, Lisa!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm hardly ever online these days, with my new job and a boss who doesn't work weekends... I have rediscovered life away from electronics. So I'm all for embracing 'unplug'.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I can see how participating in the readathon may feel like work after awhile, especially since you feel you have to read as opposed to just wanting to. Someday I would like to participate. I could have, I suppose, committed to a few hours, but that doesn't seem like a worthy effort--if I take part, I want to try to actually read the entire time--or at least close to it, you know?

    If you do read The Princess Bride, I hope you love it as much as I did.

    I'm looking forward to reading The Pearl That Broke Its Shell. I hope you enjoy it.

    Enjoy your time away from the electronics, Lisa. Have a great week!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Impressed with your commitment to unplug - it's not easy but something tells me I would learn a lot by doing it!

    ReplyDelete