Thursday, April 10, 2014

Rebecca of Sunnybrook Farm by Kate Douglas Wiggins

Rebecca of Sunnybrook Farm by Kate Douglas Wiggin
First Published 1903 by Houghton Mifflin

Summary:
Rebecca Rowena Randall leaves her beloved home at Sunnybrook to journey to faraway Riverboro, where she will live with two elderly and staunchly disciplined aunts. Though it was Rebecca's dependable sister, Hannah, who was truly invited, Rebecca's mother sends her instead, much to her aunts' chagrin. But eventually the charming Rebecca wins them over, along with her classmates, teachers, and the mysterious young businessman she calls "Mr. Aladdin." And though her adventures take her through Riverboro and beyond, Rebecca's heart remains at Sunnybrook.

My Thoughts: 
First off, Librivox largely redeemed itself with this one - fewer narrators, better quality sound, better reading. So right off the bat, Rebecca of Sunnybrook Farm had that going for it. I'm quite sure I would have enjoyed this book quite a lot if I had read it when I was in grade school. Wait...I practically did. Coming so closely on the heels of listening to Daddy Long Legs, I was struck by how much this book had in common with that book. Check it out, I think there must have been a check list for authors of that time to follow!

Book Plucky Hero(ine) Dead Parent(s) Sent to Live With Others Some Type of School Is Involved  Our Hero(ine) Is Beloved By Most Impulsive Crotchety Caretaker Older Benefactor (+1 if he’s also a trustee of the school)
Rebecca of Sunnybrook Farm
The Little Princess

Daddy Long Legs
Anne of Green Gables


Rebecca of Sunnybrook Farm is a charming novel, clearly of a certain time, but one I'd definitely recommend moms share with their daughters.

4 comments:

  1. I've never read this one (for shame I know!) but when I was reading your initial description I was picking up an Anne of Green Gables vibe so I definitely agree with the checklist!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I was just telling another blogger that I was making a mental list of books to read aloud at storytime (one day). That chart is hilarious! I haven't heard of Rebecca of Sunnybrook Farm but I'm putting it on the "list."

    ReplyDelete
  3. I hate to admit - I was given a copy of this book when I was a child and I never read it. I kept it for ages - and always intended to read it, but never got there. Some things never change! :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. LOL--I love the checklist. So very true. You might actually argue that Matthew in Anne of GG fits the older benefactor. He is Anne's oldest and truest friend.

    If Horatio Alger perfected the rags-to-riches for boys, there is definitely a comparable model (though it's more rags to comfortable respectability) for girls.

    Glad LibriVox redeemed itself. I think it's a great organization--though at times it's clear that you get what you pay for!

    ReplyDelete