Sunday, April 26, 2015

Life: It Goes On - April 26

All of my non-bloggers won't entirely get this and non-readers certainly wouldn't, but one of the things book bloggers most look forward to is the now twice annual Dewey's 24-Hour Readathon, a 24-hour period where readers from all over the world sit down to read "together." There are fun activities to participate in, cheerleaders, and prizes. Readers amass piles of books to choose from and put together an eating plan the likes of which we are unlikely to consider eating in any other 24-hour period. This weekend more than 1700 readers joined in the fun. And I managed to eek out a mere 7 hours, interrupted by the wedding of a daughter of dear friends of ours. Of course, I would never have considered missing the wedding but there better not be anything that comes between me and the fall event!

On the plus side, I didn't come close to eating all of those goodies so I have them to look forward to for some time to come. And I did finish two books, including one that was on my TBR Challenge list, so that was good.

This Week I'm:

Listening To: As far as audio books, I finished The Reader and started Extremely Loud and Incredibly Close which I will "read" (as you may notice from the sidebar) as a read and listen combination. Today I've been listening to classical cello pieces, as referenced in The Silver Swan.

Watching: The Bruce Jenner interview with Diane Sawyer. I thought ABC did a terrific job of dealing with the subject of being transgender and thought it was incredibly brave of Jenner to tell his story.

Reading: Today I'll finish Hearts West which I started yesterday but just couldn't stay focused on. My mom reviewed this one for me in 2009 and I've been meaning to read it since then. Some interesting correlations between the advertising for marriage partners in the late 19th century and present day Internet dating sites.

Making: Must not have been a very exciting week in the kitchen - the only thing I really remember making is rice pudding. Which I made as if five people still live in my house.

Planning: With nothing on the calendar this week and the house clean, I'm thinking this week will be filled with reading and decorating projects.

Grateful for: Decades-long friendships. Yesterday's wedding brought together a group of guys who've been friends for more than forty years. I'm not sure they realize how special that is; I'm lucky to be among the wives of these guys, who have also forged lasting friendships.

Enjoying: Watching Mini-me flourish as a writer! Wednesday we got to watch him do a reading of his poetry at a local bookstore and today he told us he's been accepted to a prestigious writer's workshop this summer. Guess if I can't be a writer, I'm thrilled that one of my children is one!

Feeling: Lazy this afternoon.  Good thing Mini-me and his girl came for lunch today so I got the first floor cleaned this morning.

Looking forward to: A free weekend - the only one we've got in a seven-week span this spring. Although I'm sure we'll find some way to fill it! What are you looking forward to this week?

3 comments:

  1. Congratulations to Mini-me!! That is so awesome! I'm with you - if I can't be a writer, I would love my kid to be one. :-) Glad you had fun at the readathon - it sure was wonderful spending as much of a day reading as possible.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Your son writes poetry? How cool is that?

    I haven't seen Jenner's interview yet but I saw a clip and all I can say is wow. I am glad he feels comfortable telling his story.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I tried explaining readathon to my mother - a non-reader, non-internet-user, and the most non-frivolous person ever! - and she looked at me as if I had lost my mind. It's ones of those things you have to just "get". And I'm with you - nothing better get in the way if my fall readathon!

    ReplyDelete