Saturday, April 27, 2013

Dewey's 24-Hour Read-a-Thon


It's that time again - the spring edition of Dewey's Read-a-Thon! If you've been following me for long, you'll already know that there's no way I'm going to make it through 24 hours; I find I'm lucky if I can get in 12 hours of reading. Today it's going to be in the 70's - I'm going to be outside working in the lawn, cleaning out the garage,  and airing out the house so that number may be even lower. I'll still join in with 400 of my closest friends and give myself permission to read a much as I want. I'll stock up on snacks, grab a stack of books, and plot a strategy. I'll update my progress all in this one post.

Up first, I'm catching up on the Wind-Up Bird Chronicle with cinnamon rolls and coffee. Then I'm back to Gone Girl and I'll listen to John Green's Paper Towns while I work around the house.

Hours Spent Reading: 5.5
Hours Spent Cheerleading: 5
Pages Read: 356 + audio
Books Finished: 
Time Spent Listening To Books: 3.5 hours
Naps: 1 so far - I have got to learn to get more sleep the night before!


Hour 5 Update: As usual, I'm off to a slow start. My family seems to have needed to spend the entire morning in the family room with me making it hard to concentrate. I have pulled out Paper Towns while I'm getting some cleaning done and I did get caught up with The Wind-Up Bird Chronicle.

Hour 9 Update: Finding the reading is making me really tired so I've had to take a nap break and I stopped to eat lunch. I've done a few hours of cheerleading as well. Think I'll move to the kitchen table to read. I find that one I get into the book, I don't mind that it's not as comfortable and I don't get sleepy.


Hour 11 Update: I'm a cleaning machine this last hour or so and I've gotten well into Paper Towns which I'm enjoying a lot. I'm going to be switching back and forth between this and Gone Girl for the next few hours as I keep trying to get things done around the house before I settle into read for the night.

Hour 19 Update: Well, I think I'm about done for. This gal can't really stay up all night or I'll get nothing done tomorrow (today?!) and I have to much to do for that to happen. I'm almost done with Gone Girl so I may just have to finish that yet. I've enjoyed a lot of cheerleading since my last update and added a couple of new blogs to my reader. So fun to find readers in Canada (quite a few in Ontario), Sweden, The Netherlands and Hungary. This truly is an event that brings together readers world wide!


8 comments:

  1. I admire you taking on Wind Up Bird Chronicle! Gone Girl is a great read for this event - it is very engaging and moves quickly! Looks like you're doing great!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am liking mixing audio and paper this readathon too! Have a great day!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I need to get my hands on Paper Towns. I haven't read enough of John Green.

    ReplyDelete
  4. You're probably doing more reading than me and you're cleaning too. LOL!

    Hope you're enjoying Gone Girl.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hope you're enjoying Paper Towns! I'm a fan of John Green, but I still haven't read that one.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Three hours of cheerleading is no small feat! Thanks for keeping us all going!

    ReplyDelete