Sunday, April 7, 2013

Sunday Salon - April 7



It's spring, it's spring - and we have football! I'm not sure how many other colleges are able to charge people to come watch the final spring practice of the football team but here we shell out $10 apiece to have a look at the new players, see our old favorites and start to get excited for football season.

Here's What I'm:

Listening To: I happened to catch "Guys and Dolls" on TCM the other day so I've been back on a musicals kick this week. A Twitter conversation about singing songs from musicals as lullabies only made me want to listen to them even more.

Also, "Wait, Wait, Don't Tell Me" on NPR. Smart and funny. Really I love the entire Saturday morning on my NPR station.
Watching: "Forget Paris" with Billy Crystal and Debra Winger. I can completely overlook this movie's flaws because there are just so many things in it that make me laugh out loud. Like the scene where Winger has a pigeon stuck to her head.



Reading: I downloaded two books to my Nook this week, finally. I've finally started The Windup Bird Chronicles and will be playing catchup with the readalong gang. I'm also starting The Wordy Shipmates for book club this month. I've been wanting to read both Murakami and Vowell for a while so this should be a great month.

Making: Progress on finding homes for all of the things we brought from The Big Guy's mom's apartment.

Planning: Family history scrapbooks for The Big Guy's siblings for Christmas. I can't wait to get started on these.

Grateful for: Vacuums. And brooms. And lint rollers. These cats of ours are dropping fur by the handful as the weather warms up. If they jump in your lap right now, when they get up, you look like you're wearing fur pants.

Loving: The hours of alone time I got this past week. You all know how much I love my family, but this girl needs her quiet time.

Thinking: A trip to Lowe's is on this week's agenda. I'm fired up to do some painting.

Looking forward to: Spring cleaning this week; this makes me ridiculously happy.

What are you looking forward to this week?

9 comments:

  1. OMG I know every song in Guys and Dolls by heart! That is totally my favorite! (well, that and West Side Story and The King and I and Damn Yankees and The Pajama Game and on and on and on!)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Good luck with the Wind Up Bird Chronicle. I find I have to really concentrate in a quiet environment to really read this book, which I have on Kindle.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm a Guys and Dolls fan myself--when we met, my husband told me "Luck Be a Lady Tonight" was one of his favorite songs, and the rest is history! My son played Sky Masterson in a teen production a few years ago, so I also have all the songs memorized! Fugue for Tin Horns is my personal favorite

    ReplyDelete
  4. I need to catch up with the Wind Up RAL too!!! I just got done doing some painting today!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I also really liked Forget Paris. I forgot about that pigeon scene. Now I'm going to have to watch it again soon. I bet my mom has it.

    Okay, I'm coming to take your temperature about the spring cleaning. It makes you ridiculously happy? Really? LOL!

    Have a great week, Lisa!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Forget Paris! Excellent movie despite the flaws. :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Oh gosh, Spring Cleaning makes me ridiculously happy as well. Now if only it would be Spring....:)

    Murakami and Vowell sell very well at my bookstore. My husband is a huge fan of Vowell. Still havent' read either of them,

    ReplyDelete
  8. I always feel so guilty wishing for alone time. ;) My favorite is when Scott and Elle take a little outing and I have the whole entire house to myself!

    And funny about Guys and Dolls and lullabies. Bushel and a Peck is one of my favorites (though most of my words to that one are made up, too) but Elle has heard it so many times that she says "No!" whenever I start singing it. Sad!!

    Cat hair. Ick. For us it's dog hair and it's about to drive me INSANE.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I want to be struck by the musical bug! It's been awhile. I can't remember the last time I saw Forget Paris. I love the soundtrack for the movie--that's what I remember most.

    Good luck with the spring cleaning!

    ReplyDelete