Sunday, February 9, 2014

Life: It Goes On - February 9

The Olympics have started, the Olympics have started! Which means, as you may imagine given how excited I am about them, that my reading will take a hit the next couple of weeks as I am glued to the television. I even took a day off of work this week just to stay home and watch. Is there such a thing as an Olympics addiction?

Friday night we went out with my sister and most of her family to celebrate her last day at a job where she has spent the past fourteen years of her life. There is much she will miss about the job but the bad had long since overwhelmed the good. It was time for her to leave but it was hard to do and she needed family and friends' support. And, of course, the reminder that life: it goes on.
Here's What I'm:

Listening To: I've been alternating listening to Shirley with podcasts. This week I caught up with the Satellite Sisters and Book Riot. I'm about to call it quits with trying to listen to Shirley. I downloaded it from Librovox and there are quite a few readers who aren't doing it for me. Plus, it's just such a slow book.

Watching: Not much between "Sherlock" on Sunday night and the Olympics on Thursday except "Castle" reruns while I was on the treadmill. I miss football already!

Reading: I'm back to Timothy Schaffert's Devils In The Sugar Shop which I put down for books I needed to read for review. I've also gotten quite a bit of Tinkers read this week and I've started Under The Wide And Starry Sky by Nancy Horan for a TLC Book Tour.

Making: Last Sunday I cooked a half dozen chicken breasts in the crockpot and we had three meals out of that, including chicken and dumplings. I also tried roasting broccoli (the jury's still out on that) and made two loaves of banana bread.

Planning: On finishing up some projects that I've been working on, including both of the boys' rooms. The photo project will be front and center as I watch the Olympics. I hope to get that done before closing ceremonies.

Grateful for: The crews who kept the roads safe for all of us who had to be on them this week when it snowed for twenty-four hours and then kept refreezing.

Loving: Cocoa - I'm not usually a big fan of cocoa but for some reason it's really hit the spot this week. Last night I even made it from scratch with milk - oh so yummy!

Feeling: Like nesting. I've been rearranging, cleaning, fluffing. I've added six new home blogs to my blog roll, looking for inspiration. Too much time in the house this winter?

Thinking: About what books I want to read for my annual Mystery March. Steig Larsson's The Girl Who Played With Fire and Tana French's In The Woods will definitely be on the list. I've got a lot to choose from on my shelves so I'm looking forward to a good month.

Looking forward to: Curling up with my projects, the Olympics, and warm blankets the next couple of weeks, staying out of the cold as much as possible. What are you looking forward to this week?

10 comments:

  1. I love Tana French! Each new book becomes my favorite, so you're in for a treat if In the Woods is your first.

    Stay warm. Looks like we might hit the 40s by the end of the week!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I loved the ice skating last night.so fun to watch.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I must be the one person who could care less about the Olympics (winter or summer). The only sport I really like is baseball:) Have a great week.

    ReplyDelete
  4. This is definitely cocoa weather! Add Banana Bread to that and you have the perfect cozy snack! I am watching the Olympics too - missed the Opening Ceremonies but have started getting into the events now.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love the new header! When did you change it? I've been MIA so much lately.

    I'm excited about the Olympics too. I LOVE figure skating. I just can't boycott like others are doing. I know Russia is at fault for a lot, but I watch to support the athletes, not the country where it's filmed.

    Sounds like you have some good reading plans. I need to read "...played with Fire". I've only read the first one, but really liked it. I have In the Woods and A Faithful Place by French, but haven't read them. My mom really loved In the Woods. Just more books I "need to get to." You know how it is.

    Have a great week, Lisa!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That should have said "country where it's hosted" not filmed. Duh!

      Delete
  6. I'm the same way about the Olympics, and my kids are already getting tired of it. We've been running it in the background pretty much all day and evening since it started. I had to laugh when my youngest asked me today how many more days of it we had to watch. :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. I enjoyed the opening ceremony of the Winter Olympic Games and what with the dismal weather and so on it's another good reason to stay in and watch the events. Glad you had a day off work just for yourself as you always sound so busy, yet organised. Have a good week!

    ReplyDelete
  8. My reading has taken a hit too, though for different reasons. I have been knitting like crazy and not reading enough. The Olympics is certainly a lot of fun to watch too.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I'd say take a pass on Shirley. I hear In the Woods is a great one! Enjoy the Olympics and your homemade cocoa! That sounds fabulous :)

    ReplyDelete