Thursday, September 4, 2014

Death of a Cad: A Hamish Macbeth Mystery by M. C. Beaton

Death of a Cad: A Hamish Macbeth Mystery by M. C. Beaton
Published February 1987 by St. Martin's Press
Source: my audiobook purchased at my local library book sale

Publisher's Summary:
When Priscilla Halburton-Smythe brings her London playwright fiancé home to Lochdubh, everybody in town is delighted . . . except for love-smitten Constable Hamish Macbeth. Yet his affairs of the heart will have to wait. Vile, boorish Captain Bartlett, one of the guests at Priscilla's engagement party, has just been found murdered-shot while on a grouse hunt. Now with many titled party guests as the prime suspects, each with a reason for snuffing out the despicable captain, Hamish must smooth ruffled feathers as he investigates the case. When the hidden culprit strikes again, Hamish will find himself trying to save Priscilla from a miserable marriage-and catch a killer before he flies the coop.


My Thoughts:
Perhaps you'd like to read my previous thoughts on this book? Because, I'm embarrassed to say, I've listened to it before. In my defense, it was five years ago and all of the Hamish Macbeth books are "Death of...." books so it's hard to remember which you have read.

Luckily, I enjoyed this one both times I listened to it. Hamish is so lovelorn, pining away for Priscilla and battling to solve not one, but two murders despite the best efforts of his boss and Priscilla's father.   These are cozy mysteries in the best sense, filled with quirky characters, lots of fun trying to solve the mystery and murders that really don't take center stage.

I'm headed back to the library book sale this week to pick up some more audiobooks - I hope the Macbeth mystery that I passed on in lieu of this one is still there. Because that one I definitely haven't read!

3 comments:

  1. I've read M.C. Beaton's Agatha Raisin, but haven't met Hamish Macbeth... yet.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I hate when that happens! It's easy to do with titles that are that similar. I've only read a few Macbeth's though I've enjoyed the ones I've read. I'm glad to hear you enjoyed the audio. My library has a few so I may try them out. I hope the one you haven't read is still there as well!

    ReplyDelete
  3. That's happened to me before. I'll start reading a book and think, "Gosh, this sounds familiar!" And then somewhere along the line, even if it's at the end, I realize I've read it before. Glad you liked it the second time around too!

    ReplyDelete