Wednesday, December 21, 2016

Life: It Goes On - December 21


Oh holy night! Where did the week go? Every year, at the end of the Christmas season, I vow to be more organized the next year. And every year the same thing happens. A craft projects that took longer than I anticipated. Having to get packages ready to ship this year for the first time. Terrible weather. Luckily, I'm off work until next Tuesday and things are falling rapidly into place. I may even have a few hours to sit down with a book in the next couple of days, or try to catch up with blogs!

This Week I'm:

Listening To: In the car, I'm mostly audio booking it (really enjoying Meg Wolitzer's The Interestings). I've listened to some Christmas music but the stations seem to play the same things over and over. Instead I'm listening to Christmas music on Spotify where I can choose what I want to listen to and to my own CD's. Because the radio NEVER plays the Kingston Trio's Christmas album or Handel's Messiah!

Watching: A Christmas Carol with Patrick Stewart, volleyball (sad end to a great season for my Huskers), basketball (The Big Guy's alma mater, Creighton, is killing it so far this year!) and football (my Raiders made the playoffs!). Mostly it's been another one of those weeks where the television was on but I can't recall much in particular.

Reading: Ugh. Struggling big time and it's not even because I'm not enjoying my reading.

Making: Hawaiian pizza, taco soup, tomato soup, grilled cheese, and all of the Christmas goodies.

Planning: Christmas travels but mostly I'm looking forward to getting back home so that we can FaceTime celebrate with Mini-me and Miss S who can't make it home for Christmas. Technology helps (we FaceTime'd with them while we decorated cookies and it was almost as good as having them with us) but it's not the same!

Thinking About: How much cheaper it would have been for me to drive to Milwaukee to deliver presents than it was to ship them too close to Christmas. Holy heart attack! Now I just hope no one steals the damn box off their porch!

Enjoying: Shenanigans. Because when a girl cannot get warmed up, why not curl up on the dryer? We might have too much fun together.

Feeling: Eager to be with family but finally relaxed and ready to enjoy the holidays.

Looking forward to: Oh, sure, I'm eager to see everyone BUT I'm most eager to get to see my baby great-niece who's just two months old!

Question of the week: What's your favorite holiday celebration tradition?

4 comments:

  1. At some point, you just stop shopping. You know? There are things I could still pick up but after cleaning out closets and getting rid of four bags of stuff and two huge boxes of books, do we really need more stuff? No.

    My husband is off next week. This has never happened. So, we are excited about taking some day trips. It will be good because my daughter, although she went to Disneyland, Six Flags and the like, is now bored stiff.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am glad you have some time off to to get things done and maybe even get in some reading. I was just complaining to my husband last night that I will be lucky to finish another book this year. I am not sure I'll get much reading time in between now and then. I think the most stressful part of the holidays for me is having company over. Even if it's family. Maybe especially because it is. I am always so glad when everyone goes home and I have my house back to myself.

    It's crazy expensive to mail packages this time of year, isn't it? Luckily I didn't have many to mail out.

    I hope you have a wonderful Christmas, Lisa. Enjoy your family time!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I know exactly what you mean. I was off today and am off until Tuesday as well. Last night, I finished up the last of the Christmas cards. Today, I got the last present and wrapped everything. Tomorrow will be more cookies since the first few dozen are already gone. At some point in time, I have to sit down and plan my menu for the weekend. I feel like the season got away from me this year, but I do say that every year.

    I hope your Christmas holiday is a merry one!

    ReplyDelete
  4. What a shame Mini-Me and Miss S can't be with you for Christmas! Thank goodness for Skype chat which helps everyone get together these days. Our favourite holiday tradition is the get-together meal with son, daughters and their families at least once during the Christmas holidays. (Two of the adult grandsons are working over Christmas in the hospitality trade and another also lives at a distance. We'll see them in the new year, hopefully. Wishing you and your family a very happy Christmas!

    ReplyDelete