Sunday, September 16, 2018

Life: It Goes On - September 16

Fall? Are you sure? Yesterday my outdoor thermometer reached 99 degrees. The actual temperature wasn't that high but in the sun, at least, that's what it felt like and that's all that matters to me. The cat doesn't even want to be outside and she loves to bask in the sun. It's making it hard to get too excited about decorating for fall and I'm not even thinking of pumpkin foods or soups yet.

Last Week I:

Listened To: I raced through Atul Gawande's Being Mortal. Loved. It. I'll likely pick up a physical copy of this book. I think it's truly a book every one should read.

Watched: Football and our full Sunday morning routine. I'm not sure why we watch the Sunday morning political shows - it just gets both of us all riled up.

Read: Tatjana Soli's The Removes and I, finally, started this month's book club selection, Killers of the Flower Moon, which I'm fascinated by.

Made: Taco pizza (I'll use a different crust when we do this again but it was delicious), apple crisp, caramel sauce, and strawberry shortcake.


Enjoyed: Two fun things this week: one evening The Big Guy and I went to hear Julia Alvarez (How the Garcia Girls Lost Their Accents), which was so inspiring and dinner out with friends last night to one of our favorite places in town. The restaurant wisely stuck the six of us off in a corner to ourselves so that we didn't have to worry about how long we stayed or how loudly we laughed.

This Week I’m: 

Planning: On building some wall shelves for Miss H's room and doing some painting in her room.

Thinking About: How I'd like to take a couple of days off to really do a purge and reorganization of all of the paper in my house. I like to think I have a handle on things; but some of the calls I get at work make me wonder if I've set my kids up to handle things if something happens to us. Which are the current life insurance policies, what are the passwords to get into online accounts, and do they have the right authorizations to talk to lenders or get medical records? You'd be surprised how hard it is to get some of this even with a will.


Feeling: The sun is shining and my hair doesn't have any grey today, so I'm feeling good!

Looking forward to: Book club this week, even if I sort of jacked everyone by changing the book last minute so I don't know if any of them will have even finished it!

Question of the week: I have really gotten into a bad habit of going to bed later and later this week. How do you make yourself go to bed at night in time to get a good night's sleep? I need all of the helpful hints!

4 comments:

  1. I loved Being Mortal! Borrowed a print copy from the library, but need to get one of my own. My book club discussed Killers of the Flower Moon recently and I'll have a post about it tomorrow. Sounds like you had a good week despite the heat... we had a little fall teaser a week ago, but now it seems to be taking its sweet time getting here.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Um...as to going to bed at the 'right' time for me - well, we get up at 4:30 AM. Ha! That helps. I'm usually in bed by 8:30 and sometimes already asleep. Or I read for a bit.

    Glad you read and liked Atul Gawande's book. I think everyone should read that one and I've recommended it to a bunch of people. Having gone through all the stuff when both my parents' health declined and then they both passed away, I tell people 'get the stuff in order'. It's such an emotional time and if you have the proper papers and documents and authorizations, it will help. Trust me. However, many people think it's too sad to contemplate and so put it off. I'm just the voice of experience. Have a good week - your hair looks great!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Being Mortal is a very important book. Every doctor should read it during their residency.
    I go to sleep fine but between going to bed late and waking so early I only average 5 hours and last night I had only 2 hours because The Girl was hacking all night. She wasn't sick so it's a little weird. I hope she is not coming down with something because she has an audition on Wednesday.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Looks like you've had a great week! I'm loving your hair! Killers of the Flower Moon shocked me. It's a well-written book that shines a light in some very dark corners of U.S. history.

    ReplyDelete