Sunday, August 28, 2022

Life: It Goes On - August 28

Happy Sunday! This is my last Sunday to put up this picture of the lake and I can't tell you how sad that makes me. I know a lot of you are already decorating for fall - even looking forward to Halloween - but this girl has not spent nearly enough evenings on the patio. Although I did spend all of last evening sitting around a fire pit with friends and family on my dad's driveway - more on that later. 

Last Week I: 

 Listened To: This year's Omaha Reads book is Timothy Schaffert's The Perfume Thief which my book club is reading for September. I've already read it and I normally wouldn't reread a book prior to book club. But since I needed a new audiobook and this one was available, I decided to give it a listen. I'm enjoying it a lot. 

I also listened to several episodes of Glennon Doyle's podcast, We Can Do Hard Things - 2 episodes with Cheryl Strayed, 1 with Chelsea Handler, and 1 titled Why Are There No Pictures of Us? I expected that last one to be about us not allowing ourselves to be photographed because we don't like the way we look but it's actually about those around us not taking pictures of us because they don't really see us. 

Watched: Not a lot this week. Some baseball, some football. I wish I hadn't watched my Huskers yesterday; what a disappointment. 

Read: Finally almost finished with Ruth Ware's latest, The It Girl. Compelled to finally get it finished because my sister-in-law is also reading it and I want to be able to discuss it with her. 

Made: This is really starting to get embarrassing. I did make caprese salad the other night...without the cheese because I'd let the cheese I bought go too long. It was still delicious and I may just do it again tonight. 

Photo courtesy of a family friend
Enjoyed:
 My sister stayed with my dad this past week, helping him get ready for his move, so I took off Friday so she and I could work together. We got a lot of things sorted and did a lot of laughing. Then Saturday I headed back in so I could spend time with her, my brother, and my sister-in-law (not the same one) as we prepared for a thank-you party for the people who have helped my dad this past year and a half. We had a nice group of friends and family stop by to visit and to cook S'mores, enjoy an alcoholic slushee, and to talk and talk. My siblings and I sat out there until midnight (with one of my brother's friends who is like family) before we finally decided it was time to clean up. 

This Week I’m:  

Planning: My sister-in-law brought up a lot of peppers and cherry tomatoes so there will be a lot of roasting and freezing going on this week. 

Thinking About: Miss H has been away from home this weekend and was headed home when she discovered a bubble on her tire. So I spent the next couple of hours worrying that her tire was going to blow while she was driving 75 mph on the interstate. I don't think I properly understood how much worrying parenthood was going to entail when I decided to have kids! 

Feeling: I'm keeping my brain focused on what needs to be done to get my dad moved and how the things in his house will be distributed. If I keep focused on it being tasks to be accomplished, I'm able to keep from getting overly emotional about it. But today when I looked at a floral garland my mom had wound around a curtain rod, I cried, thinking of how we are undoing all of the little touches she has added over decades. This is going to be a tough couple of months.

Looking forward to: I haven't even turned the page yet to see what the coming week entails so I don't even know what there is to look forward to this week!

Quote of the week: Don’t cry because it’s over, smile because it happened.” —Dr. Seuss

No comments:

Post a Comment