Thursday, August 4, 2022

Lit: Uniquely Portable Magic

I have three book going right now but nothing to review so I figured it was time for another dig in the vaults to see what kind of bookishness (sometimes my brain forgets that a word is a word and I'm surprised when it doesn't light up red!) I can find to share with you!

Ever heard the term "book-wrapt?" This article from the New York Times, How Many Books Does It Take To Make a Place Feel Like Home tells us it's a term coined by computer systems architect turned author of a book about the architecture and furnishing of domestic book rooms. He uses the term to "describe the exhilarating comfort of a well stocked library. I have quite a lot of books (both books I've read and carefully chosen to keep and those that I haven't picked up yet) but I would hardly call what we have a "well stocked library." After reading this article, I really want to find a way to bring all of my books together in one place. Maybe. Or maybe I'll leave them spread out in seven different rooms in my house so that I can take comfort in books no matter where I am in my house. What about you? Do you have a well stocked library? And have you ever been "book-wrapt?"

Restauranteur Alice Waters home. Waters estimates she has approximately 1800 books. 

School is right around the corner but it's not too late to read to your child to help prepare them for kindergarten. Growing Book by Book has this list of 101 Books To Read To Kids Before Kindergarten. If your child is no where near ready to start school than you're really in luck because there are books for all ages up to kindergarten. And let's be serious - most kids want to hear the same books over and over - it's going to take some time to get through 101 books!

From Catapult comes this article titled How Fairy Tales Teach Us To Love The Unknowable. You know how much I love fairy tales (ok, maybe if you're fairly new here you don't, what with the dearth of Fairy Tale Fridays that I've posted in the last couple of years). It's less an article about the unknown in general but more an article about the unknown in romance as seen through the lens of fairy tales. Not so much the kind of fairy tales we typically think of when we think of romantic fairy tales, but more the kind that show readers that sometimes you really have to work for your love and that you don't know what you're getting into when you fall in love. It fits right in with a discussion I had today with a coworker today about how when we marry young, we are taking it on faith that we will grow and mature in the same way. But the truth is, we are really entering into the unknown any time we get married. 

It's late, I'm tired, and I've got those three books going and should probably pick one of them up for a bit so that's it for me this week. Do you have any good bookish articles to share with me?

2 comments:

  1. It would be a better world if we were all book-wrapt.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I had a well stocked library where I moved from 5 years ago. I had 2 living rooms so I turned one into a library. I also had 2 spare bedrooms that I turned into smaller libraries. Then I moved where I am now and it is 1/3 the size of that house so I had to give most of my books and book cd's away. I was sad I couldn't take all my books with me but I bought 4 new bookshelves and have 3 Kindles which were gifts, so I'm ok with not having so many books now.

    I agree with your thoughts on marriage! It's a toss up and those of us who get it right no mater if it's on the first time or not, it's all worth it!

    I hope you have a great weekend!

    ReplyDelete