Sunday, July 16, 2023

Life: It Goes On - July 16

Happy Sunday! Woke up to a thunderstorm, but the sun is popping out now. We've had so much rain lately that I was easily able to dig things up to transplant yesterday. Yeah, I know - you're not supposed to transplant in the height of summer. But everything is going into shady places and came from spots that needed to be thinned so I'm willing to take the chance. And I need to get plants where I want them before we put down landscaping fabric and rock so I'm going to have to take some chances. This is going to be the "summer" project that may not get done before the first snow falls! 

Last Week I: 

Listened To: Abraham Verghese's Cutting For Stone. The reader is SO good! There's no way I'm going to finish it before my loan runs out so I'll have to finish it in print (I've owned a copy for, probably, ten years) and I'm going to miss hearing it. But, at least I 'll still have his voice in my head and know the correct pronunciation of all of the names. 

Watched:
 Last night we went to see Indiana Jones and the Dial of Destiny with friends. Verdict: some of it is filmed so darkly that you can't really tell what's going on; it is, of course, over the top; it feels so much truer to the original than several of the followups have and pays homage to it in so many ways; and they've done such a good job of creating scenes with a much younger Harrison Ford. I liked it a lot. 

Read: I finished The Gentle Art of Swedish Death Cleaning and now I'm back to Nickel and Dimed: On Not Getting By In America

Made: A new pasta dish that was a big hit with both of us. I substituted a different pasta than it called for, though. Have you tried cascatelli pasta? It's not cheap but we're big fans. 

Enjoyed: Friday evening we went to my dad's senior living place to join him in listening to a duo sing songs that made the residents so happy. They were all singing along, swaying to the music. Then the guys (and their wives) were nice enough to stick around and chat with the residents. 

This Week I’m:  

Planning: It will depend on the weather. If it's raining, I'm going to do some work in the basement. If it's nice out, I've got a couple of small painting projects I want to get done. 

Thinking About: Moving both my daughter and my dad this fall. My planning and organizing skills are going to be put to good use! 

Feeling: Lazy - I'm having a hard time getting moving this morning. 

Looking forward to: Book club Tuesday - I'm going to work on a game for this month's book, The Midnight Library

Question of the week: Will you please shoot me your best tips for preparing for a move? 

No comments:

Post a Comment