Sunday, July 30, 2023

Life: It Goes On - July 30

Happy Sunday! It's been, as it's been so many other places, really hot here this past week. Fortunately, this weekend has been much better. We were able to eat sit on the patio last evening when we went out to eat and today decent enough to do some yard work...until it rained. It was a lovely rain and much needed, especially in light of the fact that we're under water restrictions throughout the city. It was lovely to sit with the doors open and listen to the rain fall. 

Last Week I: 

Listened To: A couple of podcast episodes of We Can Do Hard Things, with Glennon Doyle, the Barbie movie soundtrack, and I started Ruth Ware's Zero Days

Watched:
 We went with friends yesterday to see Oppenheimer - long but very good, with excellent performances from Cillian Murphy, Robert Downey, Jr. and Emily Blount. Thought provoking and definitely makes me want to read more about J. Robert Oppenheimer and the development of the atomic bomb. 

Read: Guys, I finally found a book that I've raced through - Curtis Sittenfeld's latest, Romantic Comedy (a Reese's Book Club selection, although I didn't know that when I checked it out). The perfect kind of summer reading - light but smart. Tomorrow I'll start Mercy Snow, by Tiffany Baker. 

Made: Pasta in a creamy lemon, basil sauce; lots of salads; burgers on the grill. Almost every meal has included watermelon and there has also been a lot of fresh corn, in one way or another. This week's menu will include burgers (we have two left over from tonight), BLT's, and a version of the puff pastry creations I've been seeing all over Instagram. 

Enjoyed: Taking a vehicle load of stuff to the Goodwill today. I actually got rid of a lot of books, which I reorganized this weekend. At this point in my life, I'm starting to realize that, even if I have paid money for a book, I own books I'll never read and it's time to let them go. I thought it would be hard to let go of so many books but it was, as almost everything I let go of is, freeing. 

This Week I’m:  

Planning: A couple of trips this fall to see my siblings and their families. 

Thinking About: 

Feeling: I was on a step ladder yesterday and forgot that I had to step down three steps, instead of two, and took a tumble, landing on the wooden floor. On the plus side, it was in the kitchen and I was in the middle of the room so I wasn't at risk of hitting my head on anything. But when you're in your sixties and you fall, the idea that you might seriously hurt yourself goes through your head very quickly. Fortunately, I'm not hurt, just sore. And feeling a little stupid. 

Looking forward to: Another quiet, unstructured week. Except...

Question of the week: Do you ever feel like there's something on your agenda and you just cannot remember what it is? I feel like there's something I'm meant to be looking forward to this week but I can't, for the life of me, remember what it is. 

1 comment:

  1. I couldn't get into Romantic Comedy but will try it again. Glad your tumble wasn't serious.

    ReplyDelete