Tuesday, July 4, 2023

Life: It Goes On - July 4

Happy Fourth of July! I hadn't meant for the usual Sunday post to get pushed back to Tuesday, but I've got more time today than I did on Sunday so that's how this week is going! Were you all lucky enough to get a four-day weekend? Neither of our companies had Monday off and we both opted not to take it off, which makes for a weird work week. 

Last Week I: 

Listened To: I finished Lucy Foley's The Hunting Party and started Kimberly McCreight's Reconstructing Amelia, which I think was recommended to me by my sister-in-law. 

Watched: The College World Series, and episodes of The Marvelous Mrs. Maisel, Ted Lasso, and Grace and Frankie

Read: Caroline O'Donoghue's The Rachel Incident. I have a couple of books started in print but haven't picked up either of them this week; not sure why not. 

Made: Had Mini-him and his girlfriend to dinner on Sunday. Could have done something easy; but I haven't made a real meal in a while, so I did a full summer dinner on the patio thing. Made homemade baked beans, macaroni salad, we grilled burgers and hotdogs, and I made an angel food cake recipe, which I found on Instagram. Well, not an angel food cake recipe - I used a box for that. But a new recipe for "frosting" it, which was delicious and had no sugar, except in the Heath bars that were crumbled up on it. 

My dad sporting his 
Thomas Jefferson t-shirt
& leading the singing. 

Enjoyed:
 Today we took my dad back to the old neighborhood for the annual Fourth of July breakfast. He was the belle of the ball - so many people not only told him they were happy to see him, but thanked him for coming. And we got to sit with our dearest friends in that neighborhood so got to catch up with them. 

This Week I’m:  

Planning: It will depend on what the weather does. I started a project in the basement last weekend, and will get back to that if the weather is too rainy or too hot. If the weather is, as Goldilocks prefers, just right, I'm hoping to get to that table I talked about last week but haven't touched yet. 

Thinking About: Why I don't like fireworks any more. Our neighbor puts on a massive show every year and this year I didn't even want to watch it out of the window. Some of it's the noise, some of it's the overstimulation, some of it's thinking about what an incredible waste of money so much of it is. Maybe it just comes down to me turning into a grumpy old lady? 

Feeling: Last week was a tough reentry after vacation. I really actually needed this cut up work week to recover. I'm feeling much less stressed today and much more on top of things which is so important for my mental health. 

Looking forward to: Miss H arrives Thursday. She was meant to be here for the weekend. But one of her employees can't come into work Saturday morning and Miss H has to cover. Being the boss is great until...

Question of the week:

No comments:

Post a Comment