Sunday, September 30, 2018

Life: It Goes On - September 30

Welcome to rainy, dreary, cold Omaha. Seriously, it's only 51 degrees.

So sad I forgot to go back for
this set!
That didn't stop Miss H and me from going to Junkstock this morning and browsing in and out of the buildings for a couple of hours. It's gotten to be an enormous event; but I really miss the days when there was actually "junk" at Junkstock, when I could find things like architectural pieces, ceramic insulators, and the handles off outdoor water faucets. But I got to spend a couple of hours with my girl which is always a good time.

Last Week I:

Listened To: I finished Mohsin Hamid's Exit West and M. C. Beaton's A Highland Christmas and started Paula McLain's Love and Ruins. I am loving having access to the library's digital audiobooks but sometimes it's hard to find anything that's readily available.

We weren't allowed to take photos
in the event.
Watched: Ron Chernow speak on Monday. While I was racing home from work, changing clothes as fast as I could, and getting only two bites of dinner before it was time to learn to the event, I wondered if it was worth it. It was. Chernow is a fantastic speaker and I highly recommend making the effort to hear him speak if you get the chance. He spoke about working with Lin-Manuel Miranda to turn his book Alexander Hamilton into Miranda's smash Broadway hit, Hamilton, as well as about his most recent book, Grant. Super excited to know that both the Broadway show and the book Grant are being made into movies.

Read: I finished The Kennedy Debutante by Kerri Maher, read John Jay Osborn's Listen To The Marriage, and started Susan Orlean's The Library Book. I've been a reading machine as of late.

Made: It's been a pretty dull eating week, hasn't it, when you can't remember anything you made all week.

Enjoyed: Last Sunday Miss H had I spent the whole afternoon eating and shopping in the Old Market area of Omaha. Seems like we're getting into a Sunday Girls' Day habit that I'm loving. Also enjoyed the wedding, yesterday, of the son of some of our oldest friends.


This Week I’m: 

Planning: Some small projects around the house. We've got some things we want to get painted while the weather is still nice enough to get them outside (assuming this weekend was a fluke!) and I would love to get my office painted yet this fall.

Thinking About: Getting some voter registration events set up. A friend and I went through training this week to be official deputy voter registrars and I'm itching to get out and empower people. Of course, the next step is to sign up to drive them to the polls in November.

Feeling: Excited for and proud of Mini-him who accepted a new job this week. He's been with Apple for five years and we are really going to miss having our Apple expert (and that discount!) in house. But he will get a chance to travel all over the country, learn so many new things, work regular people hours, and do the things he does best.

Looking forward to: A trip to my sister's and brother-in-law's which will include a trip even further north to see their daughter and her fiancĂ©. Making my list of things from here to take to them (runzas, my sis' fave popcorn) and things to bring back (cheese curds, cheese curds, cheese curds!).

Question of the week: We both grew up having popcorn for our Sunday evening meal so that's The Big Guy and I had tonight (along with some apples and some killer cheese). Do you have any meal like that during the week, a meal where you eat the same thing every week?

2 comments:

  1. Popcorn for a meal? I've not done that before. Lat night I cooked an elaborate steak dinner because i had the night off from volunteering and the hug, after eating only a few bites told me he's rather have cereal. I am kind of not talking to him right now.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oooh...how did you like Exit West? I read it this past winter and really loved it - so original and thought-provoking!

    Sounds like you've had some busy weeks but lots of fun stuff mixed in - hope this week is just as good and you enjoy your books, too!

    Sue

    Book By Book

    ReplyDelete