Sunday, July 19, 2015

Life: It Goes On - July 19

Well, we had such a fun weekend - how about you?

The Big Guy, Mini-me and his girlfriend headed to Lincoln Friday night to hang out with BG's brother while Miss H and I had a girls night.

Saturday BG and I headed to visit my uncle and aunt for a long overdo visit to their lovely home. We had a tour of Cedar Rapids, a stop at the Czech-Slovak National museum (which was moved after the historic flooding of 2008 - the entire building was moved back from the river edge, turned and raised up 11 feet), a visit to a local pub, and an outdoor performance of Thornton Wilder's "Our Town." It was crazy hot but the great food, excellent company, a trailer full of furniture they were ready to part with, and a play performance that included frogs singing, bats flying overhead, and a deer running just off stage more than made it worth the trip.

This Week I'm:

Listening To: Tomorrow I'll finish Heidi Durrow's The Girl Who Fell From The Sky. Not my favorite narration but a really thoughtful story. Not sure what I'll start next. Perhaps some podcasts?

Watching: Two more episodes of Orange Is The New Black with Miss H on Friday night, Hollywood Game Night, and some baseball. We really haven't gotten into any of the summer shows.

Reading: Finishing Big Little Lies for book club then onto The Marriage of Opposites by Alice Hoffman.

Making: More caprese pasta, some salad - not much actually. It's been too hot to cook much.

Planning: On doing a lot of reading this week - the High Summer Read-a-Thon starts tomorrow!

Grateful for: The wonderful hospitality my aunt and uncle showed us. They have such a beautiful home - I'm hoping it convinced BG that color on the walls is a good thing.

Enjoying: Miss H is at a concert right now of a band I really like so she just called and let me listen to one of their songs. Fun to hear it but I most enjoyed that she thought to do it.

Feeling: Tired. Co-piloting while towing a trailer is hard work, ya know?

Looking forward to: Book club Tuesday night - cannot wait to discuss Big Little Lies, lots of things to talk about!

10 comments:

  1. Sounds like you had a busy and fun-filled weekend. The play performance, along with the visits by the critters, must have been fun. I'd love to discuss Big Little Lies. I read it last year and after listening to The Husband's Secret recently, am very tempted to listen to it again. I love the narrator. It was an interesting story and a little hard to describe to people - mystery? domestic thriller? funny book? All the above.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. My book club read The Husband's Secret last year and it was interesting to see the different ways people read it - I read it as more of a mystery while one of our members had highlighted all kinds of funny parts. That's part of what makes book clubs so fun!

      Delete
  2. Wow, you've been busy... but lots of fun stuff!! I really enjoyed Big Little Lies... hope your book club has a good discussion. Wish I could participate in the high summer readathon, but this is going to be a crazy week here. I'll be lucky if I read anything at all.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We did have a great discussion of it and it lead to an interesting discussion about things in our own lives including how our own self-images were formed, our experiences with other parents in the school system, and how someone in our lives had surprised us with their secrets.

      Delete
  3. Your weekend sounded like it was fun and busy. I'm a good way into the new season of Orange is the New Black. I think I may have two more episodes to go before I'm caught up. I hope you have a great week!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have yet to get back to Orange - we have almost half the season to finish yet. I need to get Miss H over for a marathon viewing!

      Delete
  4. You managed to get some good stuff in. My weekend was good but was a bit of blur. The unseasonable rain storm and the flash floods got us all excited!! But it's like 90 degrees here and humid. Like there should be more rain or something. My hair. Oh gosh. My hair. Ugh.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yikes - hair and humidity! I work and work to straighten mine and then I get to work and little curls have sprung up all over on humid days. My head is my very own barometer!

      Delete
  5. Busy! And I bet you are done with Big Little Lies by now, yes? It was good.

    ReplyDelete