Sunday, July 5, 2015

Life: It Goes On - July 5

Well, that was a fast three-day weekend! And, apparently, a fast last week - it went by so fast that I wasn't even aware until Friday that I had entirely neglected to post any book reviews last week. So, this week - two of my favorites of the year!

Friday night we met for appetizers, desserts, drinks and camaraderie with the neighbors then got treated to our first great fireworks show of the weekend, thanks to our neighbor who puts on nearly professional shows twice over the Fourth. This year we nearly had a disaster when one of the fireworks blew out the side of its box. Let's just say that my reflexes aren't what they used to be. And I may be too attached to my phone.

Friday night fireworks
Yesterday, our three kids, two girlfriends and my parents enjoyed lunch on the patio before the kids blew some stuff up in the street so they could share the fun with their grandpa. Miss H and Mini-him headed off to join friends but the rest of us were later joined by friends for a low country boil, killer margaritas, and multiple desserts for a second meal on the patio). Thanks to our neighbor putting on a second show for his family, we were able to enjoy more fireworks to end the night. A perfect day!

Perhaps some pictures before we dove into the food would have been more appealing?!

This Week I'm:

Listening To: I'm all caught up with the Nerdette podcast's "Game of Thrones" recaps and this week I'll finish up the other episodes I have left. Then it's on to a new book. Not sure what that will be yet.

Watching: "West Side Story," women's World Cup soccer, and not another thing I can recall. Must have been an exciting tv week!

Reading: I'm about two-thirds of the way through We Are Not Ourselves and hope to finish it by tomorrow. Then I'll read Milan Kundera's The Festival of Insignificance for a TLC Book Tour. After that, I'm on to Liane Moriarty's Big Little Lies for this month's book club selection.

Making: Caprese salad, dipped pretzels, red velvet cake, and that low country boil.

Planning: My office had become a dumping ground for things that Miss H was sending back home but I've got that all dealt with now and it's time to get back to projects in there. It needs to be painted but not this week so I'm just planning on working on a couple of sewing projects and some scrapbooking.

Grateful for:  An abundance of food. We take it for granted but after spending all day today eating just the food we had leftover from yesterday, I'm reminded how fortunate I am to be in a country where there is plenty and in a position to afford it.

Enjoying: Relaxing today, after a busy weekend, and in anticipation of a busy week.

Feeling: Sated. Yesterday was a good day that filled me with love, laughter, and oh, so much food!


Looking forward to: Going with friends Wednesday to see the Avett Brothers in concert then Thursday is my company's annual picnic followed by a Triple A baseball game.

13 comments:

  1. This weekend did go by quickly. Yours sounded like a lot of fun. Enjoy your week!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was great fun but I need three more days off to recover!

      Delete
  2. I'm picturing several scenarios re. the phone! It sounds as if you had an action-packed social time with more to come this week. Have a good one!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. When I jumped up to run, it flew off my lap. As soon as I realized it, I was all worried that it had gotten broken and, even more stupidly, worried that that ball of fire would have hit it. I was all ready to go back from around the corner just to check out my phone even while the firework was still shooting up the driveway!

      Delete
  3. Why is is than long weekends sometimes go faster than the regular ones? Sounds like you had a lot of fun... will look forward to hearing what you think go We Are Not Ourselves.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I swear I'm going to take a Friday off one of these days without telling anyone so no one can pop up with some plan for me that was not what I thought I was going to do with a day off!

      Delete
  4. I hear ya on the food. Right before dinner, I actually halved everything we had planned to eat and put it away for another night. I try not to waste food but when you are hungry from skipping lunch, your eyes get food happy and I always end up preparing way, way too much. Even with me halving it we STILL have leftovers for my lunch.

    I am surprised we had fireworks at all since we are in a severe drought and the hillsides are just waiting to up. Last year the helicopters flew over to tell people that it was illegal but this year... not a copter in sight. My one neighbor had some professional grade stuff. It was like Disneyland in my back yard.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We had soooo many leftovers! I fed six for lunch on Sunday and BG and I will have dinner for four nights off the leftovers. In my defense, I had no idea how many a recipe would actually feed of the shrimp boil. Next time I won't make nearly as much. But I don't I'll be cutting back on desserts!

      Delete
  5. Sounds like a great 4th! I know I'm too attached to my phone. I think I'd seriously weep if something happened to it which I know is sad! Glad the fireworks incident ended up being not a big deal but I can imagine it was startling! Have a great week!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I had to take my phone in a few months ago and they had it for a half hour. Just a half hour. And I was just lost! I had no idea what time it was and nothing to do with myself while I waited. Because, of course, that was the time I didn't have a book in my purse!

      Delete
  6. So glad to hear that you had a wonderful holiday weekend. It was a good one for my family too. Fireworks and cocktails and family time...ahhh, so nice.

    Mmmm dipped pretzels. You've given me a craving ;)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Sounds like you had a nice holiday weekend--except for maybe the near firework mishap! Have a great week, Lisa!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Sounds like a wonderful weekend. My 4th involved meeting my oldest daughter on a rooftop bar to watch the fireworks, eat tapas and give her new boyfriend a third chance to impress me. Evidently our rooftop faced the wrong direction, the food was awful and ridiculously expensive, and the boyfriend struck out. :D I'm envious of your food, friends and fireworks. Oh the joys of parenting adult children.

    ReplyDelete