Thursday, July 16, 2015

Lit: Uniquely Portable Magic

I love new words, especially big words. It's inherited - my dad loves new words, too. In fact, one of the running jokes in my family is based on the word "nadir." It also has to do with a couple of classes I took in high school which focused on the Greek and Latin roots of the words we used. Needless to say, one of my favorite things when reading is to find new words or words I love that don't get used nearly enough. Care of Care's Online Book Club often includes new words in her reviews and I've often thought I'd do that, too, but I never seem to remember.

But...when I was reading We Are Not Ourselves I was gobsmacked by the number of words to love and wanted to share a few with you.

Exigencies - that which is required in a particular situation - usually used in plural

Numinous - supernatural, mysterious; filled with a sense of the presence of divinity; appealing to the higher emotions or to the aesthetic

Coruscate - to give off or reflect light in bright beams or flashes; to be brilliant or showy in technique or style

Senescence - the state of being old, the process of being old

I just wish I would have thought to be marked words sooner - because I was reading it on my Nook and it's soooo easy to do it!


And then there's this - which I found on Facebook (maybe from one of your pages?). Love it! Kind of plays to my reading these days, what with Fangirl on my nightstand, Big Little Lies my book club selection this month and having just finished We Are Not Ourselves.

2 comments:

  1. Ooooooo! Big Little Lies would be a great book to break up my Atlas Dhrugged reading!
    Yes, I love to look up words and it is awesome to have these fun easy devices (phone, iPad) to search for meanings and quick copy to a tweet or review draft. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I've gotten so used to being able to look up words on the Nook that when I'm reading galley's on my iPad, I find it very annoying that I can't get that to work!

    ReplyDelete