Tuesday, May 17, 2022

Life: It Goes On - May 17

Happy Tuesday! Happy late Tuesday, actually. 

We went out of town this weekend. Sometimes I schedule these posts before we leave, sometimes I have them mostly ready so that I just need to add a couple of things on Sunday evenings after we get home. This weekend, I clearly did neither of those things. And then last night I was finishing this month's book club selection. But I know how much you all live for these posts (😂), so here we go!

Last Week I: 

 Listened To: I've actually been listening to three books this week. My book club book this month (The Girls In The Garden) was a read/listen combo, The Big Guy and I listened to some of David Sedaris's Let's Explore Diabetes With Owls, and I've been listening to Susan Cain's Quiet during my commute. 

Watched: We had such a nice weekend with BG's brother and sister-in-law, nice and relaxing. We spent a lot of time watching movies and streaming shows while we chatted. My sister-in-law and I watched Motherhood, starring Felicity Huffman, Patricia Arquette, and Angela Bassett. Then she got me hooked on Inventing Anna. The four of us watched a couple of episodes of Alpha House, starring John Goodman, and Operation Mincemeat, starring Colin Firth. And, of course, I been watching the final episodes of This Is Us...with tears pouring down my face. 

Read: As I mentioned, I've also been reading The Girls In the Garden and I'm still trying to finish The School for Good Mothers. 

Made: Seriously - I might as well take this category off these posts. 


Enjoyed:
 One last trip to Decorah. BG's brother and his wife will be moving to Lincoln in a few weeks and we'll love having them close but they have a lovely home in a wonderful little town and it's always a pleasure to spend time there with them. Plus, this visit we were the beneficiaries of some things that they won't have room for in their new home, including a table that was the guy's great-grandmother, another table that their dad made in high school, and a wonderful collection of BG's brother's paintings. We are honored to be the new wards of all of these treasures. 
Yes, there are two chairs in 
there; and no, we could
not see out of the rear view
mirror

This Week I’m:  

Planning: On finding new homes for all of our new pieces. And deciding which of the two tables will be my first project of the season. Great-grandma's table doesn't need much so I'll probably start with that. 

Thinking About: Everything we'd have to get rid of if we were downsizing so dramatically. Makes me even more determined to purge the unused, the unneeded, and the things it's time to let go of. 

Feeling: Frustrated with my continuing sciatic/back issue; happy to have gotten to spend time with my book club friends tonight; brokenhearted by the death of man I've known for over fifty years who succumbed to his mental illness this week, leaving his sister bereft. This is one of those weeks when I really am feeling all of the things. 

Looking forward to: My dining room is half full of things that need to go to Mini-him's place (including that rocking chair you can see in the pic above and some of the art). I can't wait to get everything out of my house and see it all in its new home. 

Question of the week: By now you've all figured out that, rather than go to thrift stores, most of my previously loved pieces have come from friends and family. I love having all of these reminders of people in my house. What about you? Do you like old pieces or are you someone that prefers new things? 

1 comment:

  1. I love looking around and seeing things in my house I've gotten from others. They vividly remind me of people I've loved.

    ReplyDelete