Sunday, May 22, 2022

Life: It Goes On - May 22

Happy Sunday! How weird has this spring been? While I'm worried, last night, about whether or not I need to cover my plants to protect them from frost, I was looking at posts from Colorado where people were dealing with up to a foot of snow fall in the past few days. In late May. My lilacs are finally starting to bloom but I can't open the windows to let the scent into the house because it's been too chilly. I have yet to put out the cushions and the rug on the patio. I'm not a fan of my outdoor season being shortened! 

Last Week I: 

 Listened To: I'm still bouncing between a number of books at once. This week I came across the book An Education, written by Lynn Barber, which was adapted into a movie of the same name by Nick Hornby. I finished David Sedaris' Let's Explore Diabetes With Owls. Now I'm going back to Susan Cain's Quiet. 

Watched:
 Last night we went to Everything, Everywhere, All At Once. I don't even know how to explain it to you, other than to say that in the end, a bad mother had to figure out how to express her love to her daughter before the multiverse was destroyed by that same very angry daughter. As if mothers didn't already feel guilty enough!

Read: Hey, I finally finished The School For Good Mothers! I also started Kate Folk's Out There and Maud Newton's Ancestor Trouble. But I'm going to have to put both of those on hold because I have to return Emily St. John Mandel's Sea of Tranquility soon. 

Made: The usual not much. But I am going to make my first batch of strawberry shortcake of the season today, so there's that. 

Enjoyed: Friday we went to the high school graduation party of a great-niece (which always makes me feel so old AND to wonder why we skip the "grand" part when we talk about aunts and uncles - I'd much rather be a grand-aunt than a great-aunt!). When she was just a baby, I babysat her once a week for two years, until I returned to work full-time. My kids adored having a baby to play with and she was showered with attention and love when she was here. So proud of the beautiful, smart young woman she's become! 

Oh, and getting a video Thursday morning from Ms. S of a moose walking down the street in front of her house! This is their life in Alaska and I'm thoroughly enjoying living it vicariously. 

This Week I’m:  

Planning: Because of my back/leg issue, I've fallen behind on so many things, including finding new homes for the things we brought home last weekend. This week will be about catching up on some of those things and decorating for summer. 

Thinking About: What it means to be married. We're headed to a wedding in a couple of weeks and there is so much advice I think those of us who've been married for decades could impart to the young couple. Like when you're working on a blog post and your husband kindly brings you a cup of hot coffee, you don't complain that he's made it the way he likes it and not the way you do. As I'm doing right now!

Feeling: I don't want to jinx anything but I'm starting to believe my sciatic issue is finally on the mend. I was able, albeit very slowly, to vacuum and rearrange some furniture yesterday. I'm beginning to doubt that I need to have an MRI on Thursday. If that were a relatively inexpensive thing to have done, I'd still do it, just to have answers. But dang - I don't want to spend the kind of money that's going to cost me if I don't need to!

Looking forward to: Finally getting some patio time this coming week. 

Question of the week: Everything, Everywhere, All At Once is one of the strangest movies I've ever seen. What's the strangest movie you've ever seen? Do you like to go see movies that are out of your comfort zone? 

No comments:

Post a Comment