Monday, June 20, 2022

Life: It Goes On - June 20

Happy Monday! I'd ask you if it's as hot where you are as it is here but I'm pretty sure it's hot every where right now. We talked to Mini-me on Friday and he reported temps in the low 80's in Alaska which is hot for them. And still I'd rather it be hot than winter. 

We made a whirlwind trip to my brother's this weekend to pick up my dad and bring him home. Arrived late Friday, left before noon Sunday. Still, we managed to get to spend some time with everyone in his family, hit up our favorite pizza place, enjoy cocktails at a place we've enjoyed before, and gotten in a lot of talking. It was a good, all too brief, weekend. 

Last Week I: 

 Listened To: I'm about half way done with The Descendents by Kaui Hart Hemmings. You might be familiar with the book through the movie adaptation starring George Clooney. I'm enjoying it but can't help but wish Clooney were the reader. 

Watched: Lots and lots of College World Series games. 

Read: I finished Jennifer McMahon's latest, The Children On The Hill and started Tom Perrotta's latest, Tracy Flick Can't Win, the sequel to Election, which was adapted into a movie starring Matthew Broderick and Reece Witherspoon which was filmed in Omaha. 

Made: Salads, salads, and more salads. Tonight we threw together chicken nugget salads. I'm pretty excited to see that we have green tomatoes on the vine - it's almost caprese season!

The little princes. Big brother
actually brought his own money 
for the games and rides.

Enjoyed:
 So much time with our great-nieces and great-nephews. They are such funny little people and I so appreciate that their parents made time for us to get to see them. 

This Week I’m:  

Planning: Nothing much, other than watering my plants ever night. See below as to why.

Thinking About: Another trip south, sooner rather than later. Our friends move on Wednesday and I'm going to be wanting a D fix before too many weeks pass. We discovered this weekend that their new house is less than half a mile from my niece's house - how handy that will be! 

Feeling: So frustrated. My back/leg, which felt terrific two weeks ago when we were in Dallas, is so much worse now. My doctor hasn't followed up to schedule any other diagnostic tool after the MRI was denied, nor has he checked to see if the meds he prescribed three weeks ago are working. They were. And now they aren't. My call to their office will not be friendly. 

Looking forward to: Book club tomorrow night. Also, a new(ish) refrigerator will arrive for our garage tomorrow night. 

Question of the week: I've been reading a lot of books I'm enjoying this year but have read very few that really wow'd me. What have you read lately that you would highly recommend? 

1 comment:

  1. Only 4 of the 57 books I've read during the first half of this year qualified for 5 stars, and they are wildly different.

    Bel Canto by Ann Patchett
    My Real Children by Jo Walton
    A Good Scent from a Strange Mountain by Robert Olen Butler
    The Thursday Murder Club by Richard Osman

    I think the Walton might take your mind (Briefly. Maybe.) off the current troubles in your country. At least, you'll have food for thought that people manage to live a life with a measure of happiness despite whatever turns that politics take in the world.

    ReplyDelete