Sunday, June 26, 2022

Life: It Goes On - June 26

Happy Sunday! How's everyone doing? It's a beautiful day here, sunny and surprisingly cool out. I've got a lot I need to get done inside today but I definitely need to get outside to play in the dirt and get some Vitamin D. We'll absolutely be grilling for dinner and eating on the patio and I may even put out all of the cushions even if it's just the two of us, just so I can enjoy how pretty the patio is when everything is out. 

Last Week I: 

 Listened To: Still listening to The Descendents by Kaui Hart Hemmings. I don't have another audiobook that will be available for a couple of weeks to I think I'll be listening to podcasts when I'm done with my book. Right now I'm loving Glennon Doyle's We Can Do Hard Things.

Watched: Friday night we went to see the new Baz Luhrmann movie, Elvis. Long but so good. Tom Hanks is his usual amazing and Austin Butler is incredible as Elvis. When Elvis was in his final years, I was just a teenager and thought of him as something of a joke. I can't say that I've ever entirely let that image leave me, even though I enjoy his music now. But this movie made me think again about Elvis as an artist and to understand how he became a bloated drug addict who died much too young. 

Read: I'm still reading Tracy Flick Can't Win. I'm enjoying it but I think my brain is ready to be holding a physical book. I think when I finish it, I'll grab something off my shelf. I'm thinking it's time to dip into a classic. 

Made: Well this is just getting boring because it's mostly been salads and quick easy things. I am going to grill a pork tenderloin today (and maybe some peaches) and make some mashed potatoes.

Enjoyed: A couple of weeks ago, I picked up a cup rack that my mother had given my brother and his wife many years ago. They never felt like it fit the look they wanted so it has been in storage for all these years. You know how much I love having those old piece but this one was made even more special when I realized that the little drawer in it wasn't empty. Inside was a collection of souvenirs from my parents travels, a single antique furniture wheel, some antique children's china, and  very small spoon that's etched "IRAN" on the back. I love the stories that all of these things tell.

This Week I’m:  

Planning: On switching out my spring decor to something more summery and, with the 4th of July coming up, all of the red, white, and blue stuff. Which, honestly, are the colors you'll find all over my house anyway. 

Thinking About: I have an MRI scheduled for this week and I'm trying, but not succeeding very well, not to think about what the results of that might mean going forward. 

Feeling: Like we have taken one step further into The Handmaid's Tale this week.

Looking forward to: Miss H is supposed to come up this weekend and you know how much I love her visits. 

Question of the week: 

3 comments:

  1. I've never been a big Elvis fan (or a Beatles fan either) but I do want to see the new movie. Love the cup rack and all the things in the drawer, how cool! It's cooler here today than it has been and I'm loving it. I hope you have a great time with Miss H!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Nive to find things that belonged to parents. Good luck with that test, and keeping fingers crossed.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh, I so want to see the Elvis movie! A coworker and I were waiting for him to play in Buffalo, so we could go together to see him. (Little did we know that he would die first.) In those days, money for concert tickets was scarce & going to Buffalo meant going through customs twice at night. It was only Elvis that I was willing to go to those lengths for.

    ReplyDelete