Wednesday, December 12, 2018

A Month of Faves: Routines, Habits and Changes. What Worked this Year and/or What Didn’t


So today's prompt is: Routines, Habits and Changes. What Worked this Year and/or What Didn’t. I'm going to go out on a limb and bet that you already know that I don't have much to contribute to this subject. This might be the year I've least adhered to a schedule and I have no explanation as to why. No one who knows me would ever accuse me of being a "fly by the seat of your pants" kind of gal. But the older I get, the more I feel like I just want to do what I want, when I want. Also, my mind tends to wander these days which makes it hard to stay on task. Some things I did do this year that were changes I made that worked for me:

1. Pack My Lunch. Every. Single. Day. I actually started doing this to help Miss H save money and since I was packing her a lunch it just made sense to pack both of us a lunch (The Big Guy is on his own!). If we've got leftovers, that's what we have. Otherwise, we've done wraps, sandwiches, soup, cheese and crackers, chicken salad - whatever we have on hand. I do not make a point to buy special food for lunches which actually made it easier to keep this up. No more of "well, I guess were out of the special lunch food; I guess I'll just have to run out for a burger." I always toss in some fruit and generally a granola bar for the midmorning pangs.

2. Scale Back On My Bullet Journal. I was spending a lot of time trying to make my pages all pretty. But I don't have time for that. Or rather, I prefer not to take the time for that. Now setting up pages is not so much of a task for me.

3. Create Monthly Tasks. My cat needs her claws trimmed and her fur brushed. My stupid front load washing machine needs to be drained and cleaned. But I could never remember how long it had been since I'd last done those kinds of tasks and I always forgot to put them on the to-do list. Now I do those kinds of task once a month, the first week of the month. They go on my monthly to-do list, then onto my to-do list for the first week and then I try to knock all of them out in one day that week. It's possible the cat actually needs her claws trimmed every 3 weeks but she's just going to have to live with it because this works for me. Besides, she hates having it done anyway so she doesn't mind the wait.

Have you made any changes to your routine this year that worked for you? Created any new habits? What works for you? I'm especially looking for tips on time management. My phone is such a time suck and I just haven't been able to find a way to get in a better routine about using it.

No comments:

Post a Comment