Sunday, March 10, 2013

Sunday Salon - March 10



This week The Big Guy's mom passed away. We spent her last day sitting with her and the family and have spent the last two days planning funeral, cleaning out her apartment and helping each other heal. Today we're taking a mental break and catching up with life.


The Big Guy's mom and dad when they were still courting
Here's What I'm:

Listening To: My mother-in-law singing on DVD. Several years ago, she recorded/video'd herself singing songs she would like for her funeral. She hasn't been able to talk much with us in the past month so it was nice to hear her voice.

Watching: Basketball. Lots of basketball. We've watched the high school championships and both men's and women's college ball. The Shepp family loves its basketball; my brother-in-law coached for many years and it's always interesting to watch with him.

Reading: Almost nothing. Which feels so strange. I'm going to take a couple of hours today and curl up with a month. It will be just what I need to recharge my battery for the next few days. I'm starting (finally) my Maisie Dobbs book and I think it's going to be the perfect read for a distracted mind.


Making: Decisions. Who gets what, what to keep. My mother-in-law didn't have much and even so, there have already been some little tiffs. I don't know how families survive when more is at stake and there is less love.

Planning: A funeral that will be both what the original Mama Shepp wanted and what her kids need to help them find peace. She had made a lot of decisions ahead of time. I strongly urge all of you to do this and to keep it updated. So much easier for families at a time when making decisions is so difficult.

Grateful for: Thirty-three years with a woman who welcomed me into her family with open arms. She was a wonderful example of how to live your life.

Loving: All of the laughs we've had in the past couple of days. I cannot tell you how often I've laughed until I've cried.

Thinking: Spring cleaning cannot come soon enough to my house. I am more ready than ever to pitch and throw.

Looking forward to: Getting back to a normal life. The past few months have been stressful and busier than normal. I'm looking forward to being able to look forward.

Yesterday it was springlike here, in the upper 50's, sunny, smelling of the cleansing rain we had on Friday. Today - 6-8" of snow. Welcome to March in the midwest.

14 comments:

  1. You and your family will be in my thoughts.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm so sorry, Lisa. I send my love and will continue to think of you, your husband and your family.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm so sorry for your family's loss, but it sounds like you've all pulled together really well during this difficult time.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm so sorry to hear that the Original Mama Shepp has died. I'm going to continue to say it... cancer sucks!

    I'm so thankful to hear she recorded songs and that you have so many warm/wonderful memories.

    Now that I've read the weather forecast I'm off to check in on AWP...

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh Lisa. I am so sorry for your and your family's loss of Grandma Shepp. Your post has me in tears and I can't imagine the range of emotions you must be feeling right now. I know that you'll be a wonderful example of strength for your kiddos and husband but don't forget to allow yourself some grief as well. Hugs to you all. This post was a beautiful tribute to Mama Shepp and all of your emotions. xo

    ReplyDelete
  6. Lisa, I am sorry for you loss. There will be times you laugh, and find yourself crying, and it's ok. Take some time for you to just sit and reminisce. Take time to heal and to help your family. You are in my thoughts and prayers.

    ReplyDelete
  7. A beautiful post! and bittersweet. Bless her for preparing you all for these days of planning and grieving. I must say I am touched by the idea of singing favorite songs. Bittersweet, I'm sure but oh so helpful. What a beautiful lady. {{hugs}}

    ReplyDelete
  8. Keeping you and yours in my prayers this week...

    ReplyDelete
  9. Oh, Lisa!! I'm so sorry for your loss!! I clicked on that photo and can tell that your dear mother-in-law was a hoot! I love that photo with the pipe in her mouth. I will keep you all in my thoughts and prayers. I know that the memories and love will be what sustains you all during this time!!!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Hi, Lisa. I "wandered" over to your blog today. I am so sorry for your loss. It sounds like you had a wonderful relationship with your mother-in-law.

    ReplyDelete
  11. I am thinking of you guys. My so-called grandparents were really non-existent when I was growing up so when I married, I was instantly awarded with my husband's grandparents who treated me like their own daughter! But when Papa passed, Momo became a really different person. Bitter. Not as loving as she was and when she passed not three months later, there were tiffs all over the place because of her changing the will, etc. It was horrible and there are still hard feelings to this day, and she passed over 3 years ago.

    In other words, I feel for you and understand how stressful this time must be for all of you.

    ReplyDelete
  12. I am so sorry, Lisa. I am thinking of you and your family.

    ReplyDelete
  13. What a wonderfully moving post. My condolences to you and yours.

    ReplyDelete
  14. I'm so sorry, Lisa. I'm sending positive thoughts your way.

    You were so lucky to have welcoming and accepting in-laws. Mine certainly weren't and it sure is a strain on a marriage when things are difficult with the in-laws.

    Take care of yourself. Hoping life gets back to normal for you soon. *hugs*

    ReplyDelete