Sunday, March 3, 2013

Sunday Salon - March 3



If you follow me on Twitter, you know I got a new phone this week, a fancy new phone that does a lot of things my other phone didn't do, partly because it couldn't and partly because I chose not to add a data plan to it. If you're a person who likes to have the latest gadgets or a person who changes phones every year, you'll be surprised to read below that my new phone is not the thing I'm grateful for or loving. I hate new phones. I'm an old dog; I hate learning new tricks. At least when it comes to something that's supposed to make my life easier.

Here's What I'm:
Nat King Cole

Listening To: The Nat King Cole station on Pandora. Why did I not think of this one sooner? Love, love this for unwinding at the end of the day. Oh, and I'm back to The Enchantress of Florence. I've resigned myself to the idea that I'll just be lost some of time.

Watching: "Smash" - although I must say that there are so many new characters and things going on that I'm a little lost (that does seem to be a theme for me lately, doesn't it?).

Reading: I started Madeleine Albright's Prague In Winter this week, my third non-fiction in a row. So far it's not exactly what I was expecting but I'm learning a lot and happy to see Albright's voice is really showing through; she is a smart and surprisingly funny lady.

Making: A Tex-Mex feast for Miss H's birthday dinner: soft and hard shell tacos, cheese & onion enchiladas, refried beans, guacamole and Key Lime mini-cupcakes. Forgot to make the rice. Darn.

Planning: On finding some time this week to play with my new phone and find more apps I can have fun with.
The Original Mama Shepp
Grateful for: Having thirty years with a woman who has treated me like one of her own. I know how rare that is and never forget that I've been blessed.


Thinking: That there is no such thing as "enough" time.

Looking forward to: Right now we are not looking too far forward. We won't have The Big Guy's mom with us much longer and all of our thoughts are on the here and now. I feel a little bit as though we are about to be set adrift.

13 comments:

  1. Sending good thoughts, prayers and a hug.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Where to start? What to comment on? I am craving an invite to Miss H's dinner - yum! And I want to read a Madeleine Albright book - will put on tbr. YAY for new phones. embrace it. Learning new things will keep you young, yaknow. And does this mean I can finally follow your twitter threads?!?!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thank you for sharing Mama Shepp with us, I know how hard this is for you and your family. I pray the blogging community can provide a little warmth during a sad time.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hope you have many happy memories of your 30 years with Mama Shepp. Take Care of yourself.

    ReplyDelete
  5. My thoughts and prayers are with you and your family during this sad time.

    Miss H's birthday dinner sounds absolutely delicious! I'm planning on having a Mexican fiesta next weekend when my parents come to visit.

    Enjoy your new phone! Once you get used to it, you will wonder why it took you so long to make the switch to something fancy!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I wonder if you have tried Slacker radio yet. I've found I like it better than Pandora because you are able to build stations with more that one person. I have one that I have about 35 people listed on, and for the most part that is all they will play on it.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I had to downgrade to a non-smartphone because of the monthly cost and I needed to get a free phone. I have to say, I really don't miss it, except for the Goodreads app. It was just one more time suck for me, really.

    I'm so sorry about your mother-in-law. I know how it is. My grandfather is 90 and my grandmother is 85 so I know losing them will be coming not too long in the future. It's a fact of life, but it still doesn't make it any easier. =O(

    ReplyDelete
  8. I've been following your posts on FB regarding your MIL. My heart is with you all. Such a difficult time for you all.

    As for the meal you outlined here... woman, you slayed me with all that food talk. I love Mexican food!!

    My phone is dying and I am debating whether I really need a smart phone. I really do not like paying for the data plan.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I'm a stick-in-the-mud when it comes to anything technical, especially phones, so the latest pass over my head, I'm afraid. The all-in-one printer seemed to have died this week and I was reluctant to get a different one because Kodak is phasing out. I tied the button one more time before going off to research new models and it came back to life! (Sigh of relief).
    I like the sound of the Mexican birthday meal.
    I know things are tough right now seeing your MIL in ill health. I had a wonderful Italian MIL - everyone loved her and she loved all her big family
    equally. My children have good memories of her. Thinking of you and your family, Lisa. Take care.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I will certainly keep you and your family in my thoughts and prayers. It is so wonderful that you had such a close relationship with her!!!!

    Did you get an iPhone? I love mine but I do find that I spend a lot of time playing on it!!!

    TAke care!

    ReplyDelete
  11. We haven't even begun watching this new season of Smash. My husband is a big fan of the show, and so we watch together when we can. Just haven't had time lately.

    I am thinking of you and your family, Lisa.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Thinking of you, treasures those memories with Mama Shepp. I want to get a smartphone but worry it will be a time sink so I will limit the data package. I haven't listened to Pandora in awhile...there are some great stations.

    ReplyDelete