Saturday, March 30, 2013

Sunday Salon - March 31



Happy Easter to those of you who celebrate it! We're having dinner today for my family. It will be a much shorter drive for my sister than previous family dinners - she moved this weekend to a house that, if you make the light, is only about a minute away from me driveway-to-driveway.

Here's What I'm:

Listening To: I'm still listening to Louise Erdrich's The Plague of Doves and enjoying it a lot for my driving book. On Pandora, I've moved to classical music this week - Bach, Handel, Corelli. Very soothing.

Watching: We watched "Flight" with Denzel Washington and "Argo" with Ben Affleck this week and would give both of them two thumbs up. Excellent performances by both actors.


Reading: I'll be racing to finish Amanda Coplin's The Orchardist today. I hate that I'm having to race through it; it's such a good book and I would love to be able to draw it out longer. I'm going to start The Windup Bird Chronicle by Haruki Murakami this week as part of an April readalong, hosted Ti of Book Chatter. I'll also start Sarah Vowell's The Wordy Shipmates which is the Omaha Bookworms April selection.

Making: I tell you, I have been incredibly lazy when it came to meal time this week. I did make a chocolate cake but that's about it.


Planning: On getting back to Project: Things That Feed My Soul. Once again, going through other people's stuff (and still working on finding homes for all of the things we've inherited from The Big Guy's mom) has me thinking about what things are important to me...and what things are weighing me down.

Grateful for: For having such great kids. All three of them cleared their schedules yesterday to help with the move. I'm not surprised, because family is so important to all three of them. Still, at their ages, there are a lot of distractions in life and they all worked hard and put in a full day.

Loving: Seeing my sister move into her dream house. She and her husband have worked so hard and often struggled. It's wonderful to see them so happy.

Thinking: I'm glad my daughter had to learn CPR in lifesaving class. She had to use her training to save a customer this week who had a piece of food stuck in her throat.

Looking forward to: Okay, this week I really am hoping to get back to a "normal" life. I think, I really do think, that there is nothing exceptional to look forward to this week. Which is a good thing. What are you looking forward to this week?

8 comments:

  1. We loved Flight and Argo as well, Wonderful that your daughter was able to help someone with her CPR training:)

    Have a great Easter.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Happy Easter Lisa!

    This is one of my favorite posts from you - seeing that your sister has moved close. I read a lightness in your words. While you are grieving, the strength of family is evident.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm reading Louise Erdrich's Roundhouse right now. Like it a lot so far. I love this format - loving, thinking, etc. Happy Easter!

    ReplyDelete
  4. a minute away! Sounds like me and my mom--and between the two of us and my sister, I think we have 5 miles between us. I keep hoping that Scott's mom will move closer now that she's home alone but only time will tell.

    I had a tough time with Flight. Mostly I was angry all the way until the last minute. I was afraid that it wouldn't go the way it should have. Argo on the other hand I loved. What an intense movie!!

    I'll be doing Wind-up as well. I don't have the audio and it's been a long long time since I've solely read a book this long. Might need some extra encouragement. ;)

    I hope you and your family have a lovely Easter today. Sorry for the long-winded comment...just getting back into the swing of visiting everyone and I missed you all! :P Enjoy the family time.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Happy Easter! Sounds like you have lots of things to be thankful for! Have a good week.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Happy Easter! So glad your sister is moving closer. I also loved your review of the Orchardist. I hope your week is fabulous and full of Springiness!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I am so happy for your sister and her husband too!! What a joy knowing that she's just a minute away!!! Your kids sound wonderful and yep, it's truly all about family!!

    Happy Easter!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Flight was good but soooo dark. We are about to head out for spring break. A little road trip. Hate the packing but once I get there I'll be fine.

    ReplyDelete