Sunday, September 1, 2024

Life: It Goes On - September 1

Happy Sunday! It's cliche and perhaps a little Boomer-y to ask, but I'll ask it nonetheless - how is it September already?! 

On social media, the "influencers" have long ago begun decorating for fall; but, for me, fall doesn't begin until at least today. Even then, I'm not yet particularly happy about it - just means that my plants are going to be dying, it will be darker sooner in the evenings, and I'm going to have to start wearing a jacket. 

One day, before long, I'll wake up and think "I really want to throw on one of my new sweaters" or "what a beautiful evening to have a fire in the fire pit." Then I'll know that I'm ready for autumn. And I'll try to live in the moment, not worrying about the imminent arrival of winter; and focus on the good parts of autumn, and not the fact that my gardens will soon be nothing more than dirt. Maybe this year I'll bring back Fall Feasting - a couple of months of reading food-centric books.

Last Week I: 

Listened To:  Finished Elin Hilderbrand's The Five-Star Weekend (which I thought was her latest and last but isn't) and started Hernan Diaz's Trust


Watched: Three more episodes of Emily In Paris - I know I said I was pissed at it and might not watch any more, but I did and now I'm even more annoyed. I may or may not watch the final episode of the season. BUT the exciting news is that college volleyball and football are back and hopes are high! 



Read:
 Kate Atkinson's
Death At The Sign Of The Rook. Today I'm starting Rainbow Rowell's latest, Slow Dance


Made: If you can use tomatoes in it, we've made it this week: wedge salads, BLT sandwiches, pasta with tomato and basil, pico de gallo.


Enjoyed: We went with friends Friday evening to see a one-man play, Democracy Su*ks - *unless we can fix it. Tiny theater (might seat 60) - I can't imagine acting that close to your audience and having no one else to lean on. Funny show, with some riffs on Broadway songs, some raunchiness, and a lot of heart. Dinner and drinks afterward, where we solved all of the world's problems. 


-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

This Week I’m:  

Planning: I meant to get back to Mini-him's dresser yesterday; but I'm so fired up to declutter that I spent most of the yesterday doing that and I'm fired up to keep at it. Hoping to get another load of stuff out of the house yet this weekend. THEN maybe I'll get back to that dresser. 


Thinking About: I have a big crowd coming for Thanksgiving and I'm already thinking about what all will need to be done before then. I'm trying to think of ways to make life less stressful. I'm pondering hiring a cleaning service for the first time. Do you use a cleaning service? If so, how do you like it?


Feeling: Torn. I have a set of dishes ready to donate. I only use it once a year and have plenty of other options. But it was my mom's. It's the sentimental things that I have a hard time letting go of. I'd ask the Big Guy if I should keep them, but I know he'll say yes (he says that about everything). Clearly what I'm looking for is someone to tell me it's ok to let them go. 


Looking forward to: Not having to go to work tomorrow. And maybe starting to take more time off work. 


Question of the week: Are you a minimalist, a maximalist or somewhere in-between? 


***This week's review theme will be "just for fun" (also, how did I not get any reviews posted last week?).***

1 comment:

  1. Can you pull one of those dishes out to display and let the rest go? Also, it is definitely not fall here in So Cal. 104 yesterday and 107 tomorrow. No one on my block has pulled their decorations out yet.

    ReplyDelete