Thursday, December 9, 2010

2011 Reading Challenges


I think...I hope...that I've settled on the reading challenges I'm going to attempt for 2011.  As I said in my Sunday Salon, I'm going to be continuing with the Gilmore Girls Reading Challenge.  I will also continue with the Our Mutual Read challenge (although I'm not sure I'm going to master it this year) and will attempt the Michener Challenge again next year.  I'll also do the Everything Austen Challenge in 2011.

This year I'm adding a new-to-me challenge in 2011--War Through The Generations Reading Challenge.  I've always thought this sounded like a great challenge but never was sure I wanted to commit to it.  In 2011, though, the U.S. Civil War is the focus and I can't resist joining.  I think, I know, I've mentioned before that my dad was an American History teacher for almost 40 years with a particular passion for the Civil War.  And by passion, I mean that our three-week-long summer vacations nearly always revolved around finding our way to as many Civil War battlefields as possible.  At the time I wasn't very appreciative. Okay, I wasn't appreciative at all.  I mean, it was not within my capabilities to stand in a green park-like area and imagine the solders coming over a hill top only to be met with bayonets and gunfire.  That passion my dad, and my mom to a lesser extent, have has gradually worn on me and I'm eager to have the excuse to read more about this period in our history.  Plus, I have this amazing library of Civil War books to draw from!

8 comments:

  1. I'm so glad you're joining us! I can't wait to see what books you select, especially since I haven't a clue what I'm going to read for it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for joining the U.S. Civil War Reading Challenge in 2011. I've been to Gettysburg and Antietam. I'd love to see some of the other battlefields as well...DC area has a ton

    ReplyDelete
  3. I have only ever visited Fredericksburg, but I would love to visit other sites, particularly Gettysburgh. I have gone through several Civil War phases in my life, but haven't read about the war in awhile. Not I'm itching to again.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I've only ever been to Fredericksburg, but would love to visit other sites, especially Gettysburg. I'm planning on rewatching Ken Burns' The Civil War when it is rebroadcast this springs.

    I've gone through several Civil War phases in my life, but haven't read anything in awhile, but now I'm itching to.

    This sounds like a good challenge.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Good luck with the challenge...I will have to consider this one myself!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Glad you made up your mind on this Lisa! I'm seriously considering it... what I'll have to do is figure out if I have enough books already on my shelves that would qualify. If I do, I'll be in for sure.

    ReplyDelete
  7. This sounds like a fascinating challenge, one that I don't know what I'd read but I would certainly learn from.

    ReplyDelete
  8. It sounds so good to be so sorted :) I am not, I am definitely not lol!

    ReplyDelete