Wednesday, December 15, 2010

The Great Gatsby by F. Scott Fitzgerald

The Great Gatsby by F. Scott Fitzgerald
My edition: 186 pages, published 1974
Originally published: 1925

Nick Carraway has just settled on a career in New York City following the Great War.  He finds himself living on West Egg (in reality Great Neck) living next to a mysterious man named Gatsby who frequently hosts extravagant parties.

Across the sound lives Nick's cousin, Daisy.  Through Daisy, Nick becomes reacquainted with her husband Tom Buchanan (a brute who is rich enough to do nothing much more than play polo) and their friend Jordan Baker (a golfer who Nick begins dating).  One day Tom and Nick decide to head into New York and stop at a garage, ostensibly to talk to the owner about a car.  But the real reason Tom wants to stop is to have Nick meet his mistress, Myrtle.  When Myrtle joins them, Nick discovers that the pair have an apartment in the city and gets stuck at a party that only ends when Tom breaks Myrtle's nose.

Eventually Nick attends one of Gatsby's parties and finds that even the people that attend the parties regularly know very little about the man.  Some said he had killed a man, some said he had made his fortune as a bootlegger.  At the party, Gatsby pulls Jordan aside and a few days later Jordan tells Nick that Gatsby and Daisy were once in love and that Gatsby would like Nick to reunite the two.  Which he does. Which results in the two of them having an affair.  Which results in very bad things happening.

I bought this book right after I saw the movie (36 years ago), which I loved (mostly because of the aesthetics and, let's be real, Robert Redford).  I didn't love the book then and I didn't love it this time either.  I agree that it's a brilliant examination of what comes of great wealth without responsibility.  I agree that Fitzgerald has crafted a work that paints a great picture of a time and place and that he's worked in a lot of interesting themes.  These are all things that I love to find in one book.  Which is what puzzles me about my reaction to this book.  Maybe it's because I just didn't care what happened to any of the characters. Maybe it's because I was so hoping to find that reading it as an adult would be a transcendent thing.  But it wasn't.  It was just a really good book. Which, in fact, is definitely worth reading.

17 comments:

  1. This was the only book that made any kind of impression on me throughout all my years of schooling, and I need to reread it again. I loved this story and even wrote an exhaustive essay about the color symbolism in the book. Great review on this one.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Well, you have answered my question about rereading this one as an adult. I had to read it in high school and didn't enjoy the book then...though, I may get more out of it the second time around. Great review!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I had the opposite reaction, I've loved this book since forever. I reread it every few years and I'm always drawn in. To my mind, the theme of GATSBY is thwarted love. The utter carelessness of Daisy and her husband always packs a wallop for me. It's the whole 'idea' of love that's on trial here, I think.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I read this book a few times in high school and I remember being blown away by it, especially by the closing lines. I sometimes wonder if I had picked this up as an adult, if I would still enjoy it as much. Interesting review, glad to see some people aren't afraid to worship classics.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I'm going to have to re-read this one. I read it in high school and I don't remember anything about it. I've had that happen, where a book is good but my reaction doesn't match that because I don't care about the characters.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I remember loving this book when I first read it. I need to re-read it soon as my first read was so many years ago.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I wasn't taken with the book either when I read it ages ago; I suppose because it was required reading.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Thanks for a very comprehensive review

    ReplyDelete
  9. I got halfway through this one on audio and then gave up! I should watch the movie and then maybe I'll be motivated to read it.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I just keep on thinking I have to read books by this author (so far I have read his short stories). When I do read this, I know I will not love it :)

    ReplyDelete
  11. This book has pretty much been a hit-or-miss, but one thing that's consistent is the strong discussion/opinion this book generates. I'm almost worried about which camp I'll be in, but I'm really curious too. I think I should add this to my 2011 reading list.

    ReplyDelete
  12. It sounds like this was a book you appreciated rather than loved - and I don't think there's anything wrong with that. I happen to love this one myself :-).

    ReplyDelete
  13. I didn't love The Great Gatsby when I read it in high school. Then I listened to it earlier this year, as read by Frank Muller, and I loved it. There was something about having the story brought to life that helped me get into it. Maybe it was the same for you and the movie.

    ReplyDelete
  14. I have never read this, but pulled it out before the move as one to read "soon". Maybe one day I actually will!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Oh, it makes me sad when people don't like my favorite book... I just always wish I could transfer some of my love onto them!
    Anyone who knows me knows my severe Anglophilia, so for my favorite book to be a Fitzgerald novel is pretty strange.
    I don't know what it is about this that makes it my favorite, and it has been since I first read it at 15. Maybe it just hit me at the right time. Maybe it's the time period in which it's set. I don't know, but I do know I've read it at least once a year for the last decade.
    So sorry this didn't make a solid impression on you! Have you read any other Fitzgerald?

    ReplyDelete
  16. I think it depends on where you are (literally) when you read this book, because it is a pale tome and can be washed out by its setting. I read it on a windy weekend at the beach, and it was a perfect accompaniment for tea and cookies and sand and some weak sun. It isn't a vibrant book, is it? But if you don't put anything too strong up against it, then it holds up quite well!

    ReplyDelete