Sunday, August 17, 2014

Life: It Goes On - August 17

Happy Sunday, all! It's been tough getting back into the routine this week at my house. After a very busy ten days prior and being somewhat off schedule in the weeks before that, it's felt kind of good. We finally got back into our walking routine and my legs ache to prove it, which is a good thing.

I'm still working to get caught up on my blog reading and mail. I need to  find a couple of hours one of these days to devote to the computer; maybe Labor Day since we don't have plans for that extra day off work.

This Week I'm:

Listening To: I finished Elizabeth Kostova's The Swan Thieves this week. For now, let's just say, if I'd been reading instead of listening, I would have put it down unfinished. Tomorrow I'll start another M. C. Beaton Hamish McBeth mystery, Death Of A Cad. I really need something light and quick.

Watching: NFL preseason football. There's a part of me that feels guilty watching football these days, knowing what it does to the players bodies and brains. But lordy, you all know how much this girl loves this sport!

Reading: I'll finish Bob Greene's Once Upon A Town tomorrow for book club and Thrity Umrigar's latest, The Story Hour, for a TLC tour next week.

Making: Homemade pizza rolls, cucumber dip, BLT's and an egg casserole for breakfast this morning. The pizza rolls were an experiment that we all liked but I'll be tweaking the process when we make them again.

Planning: Our first football party of the season in just two weeks. Can't wait to watch our Huskers kick off the season surrounded by Mama Shepp's kids.

Grateful for: Fresh produce straight from my garden at every meal. It tastes so much better and it's great to know how much healthier we're eating.

Enjoying: Evenings on the patio. It's continued to be uncharacteristically mild here for August and I can't seem to get enough outside time.

Feeling: Happy to have had this weekend with nothing on the calendar so we can get caught up on some cleaning and projects.

Looking forward to: My book club's meeting and a book store event with Rainbow Rowell this week. What are you looking forward to this week?

11 comments:

  1. My weekend was mainly cleaning and decluttering. Did get a lot of reading done though.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love eating stuff from my garden. Makes me feel so thrifty and enterprising! Hamish MacBeth's are definitely quick and light. I really enjoyed the one I read not too long ago. Good luck getting caught up! It always takes so much work but it's nice to feel on top of things again. Have a great week and have fun meeting Rainbow Rowell!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Once Upon a Town sounds wonderful - have never heard of that one. I'll be looking forward to your review of The Story Hour, too.

    I know what you mean about football, but I enjoy it, too.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I find the need to catch up on my blog reading and backlog every few weeks. It just keeps getting out of control! Hope you have a great week!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I know what it's like to be in a reading rush. I have to finish two books by Tuesday morning before I can get back to Murakami's new book, which I am enjoying (only 3 pages in so far).

    ReplyDelete
  6. I was so excited when The Swan Thieves came out, and then the reviews started coming in from other bloggers. I still haven't gotten to it, and am not sure I want to. I loved The Historian.

    Our goal this past weekend was to catch up on some home projects, but it didn't happen. I ended up being sick and my husband had his hands full with Mouse. Oh well. I'd say next weekend, but we've got company coming and we'll be out of town the weekend after. Someday.

    Have a great week!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hope you got some of those home projects done at the weekend, Lisa. The pizza rolls sound interesting. Trying to eat sensibly at the moment after many family celebrations recently - fresh fruit and veg from the garden is helping! Happy reading and hope you enjoy the book event this week, Lisa. Here we're hoping for some sunny days for the rest of the holiday season.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I wish my week weren't so crazy! I'd love to drive up to Omaha for the Rainbow Rowell signing at The Bookworm on Thursday. Have fun!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I am looking forward to finishing my Murakami book and basically, for Friday. I live for my weekends and this week is already a bear.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Rainbow Rowell?! You best report back!

    Mmmm fresh produce. Our last trip out of town killed my tomatoes (I didn't bother have anyone water them while I was gone). But we had a few meals at my grandparents that were entirely from the garden except for the meat. It is really satisfying!

    ReplyDelete
  11. We have had a mild August here too - I am wearing a lightweight cardigan today! Happy for the break from the heat and humidity we usually have this time of year - it feels like we are being paid back for such a terrible winter!

    ReplyDelete