Sunday, August 31, 2014

Life: It Goes On - August 31

Even I have to, reluctantly, agree that summer has now come to an end. What a strange August we have had - in many ways it's been much more like April. We've had 10" of rain this month, the second month this summer that's happened! Glad I didn't pay for a pool membership this year. I haven't altogether missed the heat and dryness but it does make a person much more appreciative of fall.

I've had a weird week - walking down the stairs at work when my knee popped and I felt something tear. With help from The Big Guy I got myself to the doctor and discovered that I had torn my meniscus. Now I know why football players writhe around on the ground when they tear something in their knees - holy buckets did that hurt! My knee has been sore since and weak so I've been hobbling along all weak with the aid of a cane. I can do most things fine but it has made me rely more on others. I'm going to use it as an excuse to spend the next couple of days lazying around, reading.

This Week I'm:

Listening To: I finished Death Of A Cad and I've listened to about half of Virginia Woolf's Mrs. Dalloway. While I'm enjoying it, I find it easy for my mind to wander when I'm listening while driving and this is an easy one for that to happen with.

Watching: College football! Speaking of watching, I'm so sad to find that A&E has cancelled "Longmire." Everyone in my house loves that show so we're hoping another network will want to pick up a show that has as many viewers as "Longmire" does even though it had a rerun as a lead in.

Reading: Liar Temptress Soldier Spy by Karen Abbott - really interesting look a female spies on both sides of the Civil War.

Making: White bean dip, BLT dip, stuffed hot banana peppers, sliders, saltine toffee, and homemade salsa for a football party.

Planning: On having surgery Tuesday to fix my knee. Not looking forward to the surgery but I'm definitely looking forward to having a knee that works again - it's been sore for a couple of weeks before it finally tore.

Grateful for: My hubby who has taken such great care of me this week!

Enjoying: Celebrating a season opening Husker victory with Mama Shepp's kids! One day I'll turn my basement into a adult space - but for now I love that it's a place where they can feel comfortable.

Feeling: Anxious. I'm so over having surgeries!

Looking forward to: Being able to get out and walk again!

6 comments:

  1. I'm sorry to hear about the knee injury. It sounds as if you already had a weakness there before it actually happened. Hope the football party, reading, listening and watching tv takes your mind off it and the surgery goes well on Tuesday with a quick recovery.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh, dear... I'll be thinking of you on Tuesday!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I am sorry about your injury. :-( I have a friend who recently tore her meniscus, so I know how difficult it can be. I am glad you're getting the rest you need, along with some well-deserved reading time. I have been wanting to re-read Mrs. Dalloway.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm so sorry to hear about your knee! I've had aches in mine for years (30+ years of running will do that to you!) and fear the day I need surgery. Between that and my back, I really am annoyed with this "getting older" thing! I hope your surgery goes well and that you have a quick recovery.

    Yes, lots and lots of rain. It's been pouring for the past hour and my rain gage shows almost 4" in the past few days. I don't think we've had as much as Omaha, but we're well over "normal" for this time of year. Hope that doesn't mean a miserable winter...

    GBR!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I am sorry to hear about your knee injury, Lisa. I hope the surgery went well! And I hope you have a smooth recovery.

    Liar Temptress Soldier Spy caught my attention when I first heard about it. I look forward to reading your thoughts on it.

    I'm still enjoying the summer weather. It hasn't been nearly as hot as it usually is, especially this time of year. I wish we'd gotten the rain you did. We sure need it out in California.

    ReplyDelete